Wednesday, March 13, 2013

At The End of The Day....welcome home


I think the paperback version of my book, The Swing, is available today!  I "think" because no one has really told me, or called, me, or emailed me, so I guess it's not a big deal!  I've learned loads about writing, publishing and most importantly selling books, but really I don't know shit...about the publishing world!  What I do know is how to, and what to do with the kettlebell swing!

I'm probably not the best person to beg people to buy my products, specifically my book, The Swing!  Sure I have a few DVD's, but really I have a great book about how I program this one little, super magical, miracle of an exercise, that not many people seem to want to do on a regular basis to get the body of their dreams, because why?  Well, all I can say is I can lead a horse to water....  But I suspect because it feels hard!  I'm not going to say it IS hard, because I believe that hard is a feeling, not a fact!  And it feels way harder being fat, bloated, ashamed, unfit, weak, sick, ugly, yep I said it, ugly, than it feels to do a few sets of 10 kettlebell swings! (I didn't feel very pretty at 250lbs.)

But at the end of the day I don't live my life to sell books. (but will you please buy loads of copies? lol)  I live my life so wanting others to feel "this".  The last thing I write in the acknowledgements of my book is this:

"Finally, to all the chubby little girls and boys who have had to sit on the sidelines knowing they are capable of so much more, and to everyone who has ever felt underestimated: you know the greatness within you--bring it to life and stop waiting for another day--today is the day!"

I received a facebook message today from a woman who was referred to my story by a fellow Instructor.  She wrote to me about how she was encouraged by this Instructor to have hope, so he gave her my name.  She googled me and found my story, then found me on facebook, here is part her message;

"....he mentioned you. I came home and Googled and wow, I feel real hope. I really appreciate his approach and I appreciate you sharing your story, especially since I am where you once were. I'm not striving for a certain size but I want energy, strength, confidence and I want to want my body.
I just started reading your book and I feel inspired! Thanks for sharing and thanks for leading the way!"

To which I answered;

"You're going to lose 100 lbs, you're going to lose 100lbs...repeat after me, "I'm going to lose 100lbs!" This is something you don't have to share with anyone else, not even your husband (if you have one), your mother, God forbid, don't tell your mother! Just keep it to yourself! You know what you have to do. Stop eating so much of the junk, and be the smart woman you know you are!
Walk, swing, prepare you lunches and dinner. Have a plan, make your own rules. Don't blame anyone or anything else. You got yourself here and you'll take care to get what you really want, a smaller healthier, prettier body! And your face will thank you too!
We are not idiots! Just keep your eye on the road ahead. It's all fun! the first 5lbs is fun, then next 5lbs is fun, the first 20 and 25lbs feels fabulous and empowering! 50lbs you feel invincible! You know without a doubt you will see that 100lb weight loss!
And training kettlebells will help you get back so much of what you thought was lost. It isn't lost, its just waiting. Waiting to welcome you back home."

This is why I do what I do.  I train.  I cook.  I write/blog.  I facebook.  I live by example, and if I can do it, if one person, and there is more than one, can do it (I'm not the only one!), then it CAN BE DONE.

At the end of the day, whether or not I sell one book, two books, a zillion and a half books (please, thank you!), I will still show up and train.

PS  something I just learned about the publishing and book selling world is that once a book goes into paperback production the hardback is no longer available.  I have found hardback copies of The Swing by way of a google search and the only reason why I'm mentioning this is because the hardback version is a beautiful book!  (and now you can find it on sale!)  The last meeting I had with my editor she pointed out that Harper One had to use a better quality paper (more expensive!) because of the instructional photos!  So if you don't have a copy yet you may consider finding a hardback, but the paperback is lovely also!


21 comments:

indianist said...

Nice tips we can maintain our health by eating good food

Mahda16 said...

Excellent post.... I need some motivation these days, my body's gone into hibernation mode.

Mahda16 said...

Excellent post.... I need some motivation these days, my body's gone into hibernation mode.

Diana said...

6 years ago I was introduced to the kettlebell.....we both know how that turned out!
Blessings friend!

Tali said...

Tracy, I purchased your book and have read it, I'm doing the workouts, and I have a plan. I'm on my way and looking foward to all the good things that the positive changes I am making will bring. Thanks for the inspiration!:)

Anonymous said...

Your book arrived just the other day, and I'm digging in! Love your story, love your work. tls

Anonymous said...

I am glad a bought another hardback book since I just sent my first copy to someone that I thought needed a little inspiration with a kettlebell included. I also bought Programming the Kettlebell Swing and it really makes your book come alive so to speak. Anyway, thanks a million for all that you do. I have 90lbs to lose, and all I can say is "I'm ready", I think you understand. Much hugs to you!!

Maribel said...

I can't believe that when I met you I thought, "oh what the hell, I'm 40, this is what a 40 year old body after birthing and nursing 2 kids looks like". Boy was I wrong!

Oh, and my copy of your book has markings and post it notes all over it!

Anonymous said...

Done - I bought your book in hardcover! Hopefully it gets me motivated to get back on track with swing training.

Tracy Reifkind said...

indianist,

As many brilliant people have said;

"Simple, but not easy!"

"Good food" is not as important as "the right amount of good food" when it comes to health and weightless....of course if you eat "the right amount of good food" weight loss is a non issue.

Tracy Reifkind said...

Mary Ann,

"hibernation"! I love it! Well, schedule a photo/video shoot or a workshop/kettlebell certification every 4 weeks or so and you'll come out of hibernation!

That's my secret! I am so thankful I have a calander full of "appearances", otherwise it would be red wine pasta and sweet potato fries everyday for me!

Tracy Reifkind said...

Diana,

Geez, time flies! I am so proud to say it's been 8 years for me...and we both know how it turned out!

I'm so glad Kori shared you with me!

Tracy Reifkind said...

Tali,

I love it! "I have a plan" Perfect! I love plans!

Tracy Reifkind said...

Platefull,

it is a plate full of "cray-cray"! (Mark hates that way fo saying crazy! Let's see if he catches on!)

Thank you so much for all of your support! We are all kettlebell sisters and brothers!

Tracy Reifkind said...

Trina,

I do totally understand and I hope to write more about those of us that find or have found ourselves in a position of a feather large weight gain to begin with, then faced with deciding to get rid of it!

If you think about it, gaining 90 extra pounds is way crazier than losing it! I got your back! Big hug back at you!

Unknown said...

In the words of W A Ward
“The mediocre teacher tells.
The good teacher explains.
The superior teacher demonstrates.
The great teacher inspires.”
And to me you are a great teacher Tracy.

Tracy Reifkind said...

Maribel,

I've seen your copy of my book! I'll never forget the first couple of lessons I had with you! I remember asking you what it was, that you thought, was making you fat. You said that one of the "problems" was that you ate the food that your kids left on their plates because you didn't want to "waste it"! So funny now, isn't it?

I said, "Throw it out!" And you did! And you started losing that weight! Now you are a regular bad ass! Well, you were the whole time, now you just get to express it!

Tracy Reifkind said...

Jo,

"back on track"? Get back on track! As Mark says often, "Don't tell me what your program design is, tell me the how many workouts you've missed in the last 6 months!"

Get back at it and don't stop. It's less about what you do, and more about THAT YOU DO!

Do you know how many people do nothing? Don't be one of them!

Tracy Reifkind said...

Rupindeer,

Wow! One can not get a nicer compliment than that! Thank you very much.

Once I fully recover from this past weekend we'll get that google hang out sorted through!

fred from nashville said...

tracy, dont forget the kindle version which got me into the kettlebell and i refer to all the time. its the way we manly men and hip mature dudes like myself read. of course.
your friend fred from nashville

fred from nashville said...

tracy, dont forget the kindle version which got me into the kettlebell and i refer to all the time. its the way we manly men and hip mature dudes like myself read. of course.
your friend fred from nashville