Thursday, November 25, 2010

Thanksgiving Day workout....something's smokin'

Brrrr! It was freezing cold in the garage gym this morning around 6:30am...and that's why I took a hot bath before my workout.... I thought about bringing the bells inside of the house last night, but I was just too lazy. Of course Mark offered to go out and get them, but I didn't think it would be a big deal.... Man, was I wrong. Those freakin' handles took forever to warm up, freezing my little fingers to the bone first! Too bad I didn't start my workout with a "smoker".....here's video taken Saturday of my little shoulder smoker....



Sabina showed up to swing train, and since she overslept on Tuesday and missed class, I had to take her through a version of what we did a couple of days ago...only new and improved!

12kg swings

10 2 hd sw x 5, 15 sec work/rest = 2.5 min (50 swings)

1st rotation

10 tr x 1, 15 sec work/rest (10 sw)
1 sw, 1 tr x 10, 30 sec work/rest (20 sw)
2 sw, 1 tr x 10, 45 sec work/30 sec rest (30 sw)
3 sw, 1 tr x 10, 1 min work/30 sec rest (40 sw)
4 sw, 1 tr x 10, 1.25 min work/30 sec rest (50 sw)
5 sw, 1 tr x 10, 1.5 min work/30 sec rest (60 sw)
6 sw, 1 tr x 10, 1.75 min work/30 sec rest (70 sw)
7 sw, 1 tr x 10, 2 min work/30 sec rest (80 sw)

1 minute rest
total 16.25 minutes, 410 swings

2nd rotation

10 tr x 1, 15 sec work/rest (10 sw)
10 2 hd sw x 1, 15 sec work/rest ( 30 sec 10 sw)
1 sw, 1 tr x 10, 30 sec work/rest (20 sw)
10 2 hd swings x 2, 15 sec work/rest (1.0 min 20 sw)
2 sw, 1 tr x 10, 45 sec work/30 sec rest (30 sw)
10 2 hd sw x 3, 15 sec work/rest (1.5 min 30 sw)
3 sw, 1 tr x 10, 1 min work/30 sec rest (40 sw)
10 2 hd sw x 4, 15 sec work/rest (2.0 min 40 sw)
4 sw, 1 tr x 10, 1.25 min work/30 sec rest (50 sw)
10 2 hd sw x 5, 15 sec work/rest (2.5 min 50 sw)
5 sw, 1 tr x 10, 1.5 min work/30 sec rest (60 sw)
10 2 hd sw x 6, 15 sec work/rest (3.0 min 60 sw)
6 sw, 1 tr x 10, 1.75 min work/30 sec rest (70 sw)
10 2 hd sw x 7, 15 sec work/rest (3.5 min 70 sw)
7 sw, 1 tr x 10, 2 min work/30 sec rest (80 sw)

26.75 min. 640 sw

Total 43 minutes 1050 swings

Double 12kg press workout

1 cl, 5 pu press x 5 sets, 15 sec work/rest (2.5 min. short cycle)
1 cl, 1 pu press x 6 x 10 sets, 30 sec work/rest (10 min. long cycle)
1 cl, 1 jerk x 5 x 10 sets, 30 sec work/rest (10 min. long cycle)
switch to a single 12kg
1 cl, 1 sq x 5 R, 1 cl, 1 sq x 5 L, 30 sec per side, 1 min total, 30 sec rest x 5 = 7.5 min.

30 minutes total

I ended the workout with my 5 minute shoulder smoker, using an 8kg...see video above

Tracyrif's Shoulder Smoker

12 press R, 12 press L
10 press R, 10 press L
8 press R, 8 press L
6 press R, 6 press L
4 press R, 4 press L
2 press R, 2 press L
1 press R, 1 press L

86 light presses, a little over 5 minutes

I came up with this idea of a little shoulder smoker using a light bell. It's about reps, and little rest. Last week, the first time Meg did this she used the 12kg....seriously impressive! This past Saturday she used the 10kg, and it was still a challenge. I'll stick to my 8kg, it's hard enough, especially at the end of a workout!

PS It's 45 minutes since my workout and my toes are still frozen! Good thing I'll be in Bikrams in about 1 hour!

10 comments:

John Beamon said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Tracy. Please extend my greetings to Mark. Good to see some folks burning it in advance! My gym was eerily quiet this morning. Not a thump, not the whir of a treadmill, just me doing get-ups and snatches.

Mark Reifkind said...

Happy Thanksgiving John :))

Tracy is burning it all the time,lol.I'm so happy she's back training in our home gym again, as I am. There is something quite comforting about it; our own sacred space, our own courage corner.

guy said...

Great practice Ma'am! Happy Thanksgiving!

jockeRKC said...

Ma`m you are just one hard core girl =)

Tracy Reifkind said...

During Holidays my students and clients always ask if I'm working on these days, and my answer is always the same,

"If a holiday falls on a training day, then we wtill train!"

Thank goodness for kettlebells, you need very little to keep your commitment to your training. Not like having to rely on going to a gym..... someone elses location, someone elses equipment...argh!

Laura M said...

Great workout! I'm going to give it a go. I've been working on moving up a bell size for swings, which raises this question for me:

If I get to a set where I can't finih the reps in the prescribed time, should I (A) finish the reps and then take the normal rest, (B) stick to the time and cut the reps short, or (C) do something else. I thought about maybe work into rest but that seems like the opposite of what I should be doing if I already can't keep up.

Laura M said...

Answering my own question: Don't attempt this workout with a KB that you can't finish the reps on time! I'm looking forward to giving it another shot when I'm with my KB farm and can pick the right size.

Tracy Reifkind said...

Laura,

Sorry I didn't get back to you before you answered part of the question yourself! Let me offer a bit more food for thought...

My first reation to your question was a question of my own...why are you trying to go up a kb weight size? Then you go on....

If you can't finish the reps, then stop at the point when your form breaks and always take appropriate rest....you'll hear me say that over and over. What is appropriae rest? Appropriate rest means to stop when your form breaks and don't start again until you can come back with proper form. Whether that means 8 reps, or 80. The weight size shouldn't matter, the correct form and technique always trumps work/rest ratio.

You should never be struggling. You may be challenged, but challenged does not mean training through sloppy, half ass reps.

Interval training means starting (and stopping) within a prescribed amount of time. I would rather all work sets start at the prescribed time, and stop when form breaks. Pick up at the start of the next work set....or the following work set....always take enough rest to START at the appropriate work set. That's my prefered method.

Work into rest is not a beginning method. It is the next step once one has acheived equal work to equal rest, AND can swing nonstop for 40 reps (1 min.). At that time you can apply my W into R method (I've got anthother DVD coming soon that will break alot of this down into real workouts)

I love the conclusion that you came to on your own....you know I did not start out with a 12kg! And if I had owned a 10kg at the time I would have taken full advantage of that weight too! The size of the bell is irrelevant if you can't do the workout.....or if it demotivates you to keep trying. Training is about winning, not losing.

Maribel said...

We did a little smidge of this on last Saturday, appropriate for the beginner class and I was still sore yesterday. I'm giving it a go tonight and see how I do.

I really liked this rotation.

Tracy Reifkind said...

Maribel,

You did get a taste of it on Sat because you missed the long version last Thursday...no worries...who knows what fun stuff tomorrow will bring!