Saturday, November 20, 2010

Guava Chutney

I love chutneys. Sweet, savory, spicy, sour, salty...what else is there? Meg gave me a ton of guavas from her tree, and I hope there's more to come....chutneys freeze well....(I'll have to start eating some of that tomato soup to make room, lol)


A chutney is from the East Indian word chatni. This spicy condiment contains fruit, vinegar, sugar and spices. It can range in texture from chunky to smooth and in degrees of spiciness from mild to hot. Chutney is a delicious accompaniment to curried dishes. The sweeter chutneys also make interesting bread spreads and are delicious served with cheese.


Fruit, vinegar, sugar and spices.... I've made everything from cherry, mango, pear, cranberry to now, guava chutney. My basic chutney recipe is almost always the same with only the fruit changing places...and maybe the type of vinegar I use. (I sometimes add white wine also)

guava
pear
onion
jalapeno
apple cider vinegar
lemon
ginger
red pepper flakes

I haven't made any chutney for quite a while, so in this first batch I put to much vinegar in relation to sugar...the only difference it made was that it was not as firm enough to use as a spread for cheese and crackers. But as a condiment for grilled meats (or maybe some roasted turkey!), it's perfectly fine. I decided to throw a couple of pears into the mix, next time I'll leave them out...I don't think they added much to it. I also only had 1/2 of an onion....considering I had 12-16 cups of fruit, it didn't make the chutney as savory as I like. Jalapeno and red pepper flakes are a must!

Pictures above...cut fruit in half (lengthwise) and scoop out of skin with a spoon, like an avocado or kiwi...hey kiwi chutney, yum! Dice fruit into 1/4 inch chunks, and proceed with cooking. I serve sweeter chutney with slightly stinkier, soft, creamy cheeses...but brie is always a crowd pleaser!

2 comments:

guy said...

That looks delicious Ma'am!

Mark Reifkind said...

it is guy, it is,or was ,lol :))