Saturday, October 30, 2010

Saturday Max on Hold...

I decided it was time to break from Max Vo2 for a couple of weeks and spend some time practicing some of my methods for high volume snatch training for upcoming workshops and video....I've got some lucky training partners, huh?

The theme of my classes this morning was "100"....yep, another 100 rep snatch workout. I combined pacing with speed....here's what we did,

12kg

10/10, 1 min work, 30 sec rest (20 **paced snatches)

10/10 *speed snatches 40 sec. work, 1 min., 20 sec rest (20 speed snatches total)

10/10 x 2, 2 min work, 1 min. rest ( 40 paced snatches)

10/10 speed snatches 40 sec. work, 1 min., 20 sec rest (20 speed snatches, 40 total)

10/10 x 3, 3 min work, 1 min rest ( 60 paced snatches)

10/10 speed snatches 40 sec. work, 1 min., 20 sec rest (20 speed snatches, 60 total)

10/10 x 4, 4 min work, 1 min rest ( 80 paced snatches)

10/10 speed snatches 40 sec. work, 1 min., 20 sec rest (20 speed snatches, 80 total)

10/10 x 5, 5 min work, 1 min rest ( 100 paced snatches)

10/10 speed snatches 40 sec. work, 1 min., 20 sec rest (20 speed snatches, 100 total)

400 total snatches
29.5 minutes



10/10 speed snatches (2 min)
10/10 x 2 speed snatches (3 min)
10/10 x 3 speed snatches (4 min)
10/10 x 4 speed snatches (5 min)
10/10 x 5 speed snatches (6 min)video shows this last set of 100. I believe this took me about 2 1/2 minutes to complete with the 12kg

300 snatches
20 minutes

700 total snatches
50 minutes total time

And this was a low intensity workout compared to many of our past Saturday snatch workouts.

For instance I did 72 sets of Max on Thursday...576 14kg snatches in 36 minutes. Last Thursday I did 943 12kg snatches in apporx 50 minutes.....243 more that today in the same amount of time!

*speed snatches

Here's how I trained these sets....we snatched 10 reps, both left and right as fast as we could. I timed the work and rest for 2 minutes total. However long it took each person to complete the 20 snatch reps left them with the remainder of the two minutes for rest before the next set of paced snatch sets. For instance, it took me 40 seconds to complete my fast paced 20 snatch reps, I then had 1 min. 20 sec of the remaining 2 minutes to rest before the next set.

I timed the last rotation of speed santches in the same way, except for every additional 20 reps (10 L, 10 R) I added 1 full minute to complete.

**paced snatches

All paced snatches we timed at 10 snatch reps per 30 seconds....no faster, no slower. Therefore each 10/10 took 1 minute. Every additional 10/10 increased the time of the set by 1 minute. Example....100 snatch reps, done 10 L, 10 R, took 5 minutes to complete.

8 comments:

Diana said...

Woohooooooooooooo, A snatch DVD. I likey!

Tracy Reifkind said...

Oh, you're going to like it alright!

The DVD will be instructional like the last, but lots more follow along demos that will really smoke you!

In the mean time I've scheduled my next three videos, the first two will be shot in Nov., and the 3rd in Jan.

I hope to have a high volume snatch workshop taped, and that will be the DVD (maybe in Jan also)

Diana said...

"I hope to have a high volume snatch workshop taped, and that will be the DVD (maybe in Jan also)"


What a way to start off 2011.....with a high volume snatch DVD!!!! Rock on!

kizzy said...

I simply love that video...thanks for the post!

--kizzy vibram

TheLighteningGirl said...

Hey Tracey
I have been doing your Beginner KB workout with my 16kg bell and loving it. But I am finding that the increase in time compared to what I was doing before is chewing up my hands. I drummelled the rough parts of my bell down and then let things heal and went do a snatch workout with the 16 and it is still ripping up my hands! I noticed in your video here that you have stuff on your hands but it doesn't look like the socks? I have tried the sock route and use chalk but nothing seems to be helping! Do you have any suggestions?
Last question... so this workout has two parts? Great workout!
Thanks
Heather

Mark Reifkind said...

Lightening girl

have you read this?

http://tracyrif.blogspot.com/search?q=sock+sleeve

also, make sure you are not 'pulling' the bell out of the bottom too early; that increases the friction on hands tremendously,

also, perhaps the 16 is too heavy right now for this volume? perhaps a 14 or a 12 kg even?Tracy uses the 12 quite often.

TheLighteningGirl said...

Thanks Mark
I have been using something similar but, really I think you are right about the bell size. The handle is really thick too so it is harder for me to grip. I'll watch to see if I am pulling too soon... that makes alot of sense too. I had no trouble with the 12kg and did the snatch test no problem. I need to find a 14kg bell and stick to the 12 for longer sets!

Thanks for the quick response. With all these cool workouts to choose from it will be hard to wait for everything to heal. Have a great trip!
Thanks
Heather

Anonymous said...


Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!
Yoga Instructor Course &Yoga Teacher Training