Friday, October 8, 2010

Me, Myself, and I

Since quitting Equinox I have Thursdays to train all by myself.... Well, last week was my scheduled doubles workout, but one problem....I had no double of any bell at home. Where were all the bells? At my yoga studio! I teach kettlebells inbetween my tri-weekly double Bikram practices on M, W, F. I've had a bit of interest from a couple of my students, once I suggested it, to train a double KB workout, so I've stocked some of my bells up over there....yikes....I guess I'll train at the BYC Studio....for now.



Silly me, I decided to take a Thursday 7:15am class, not on my regular schedule, but I was already there, so thought I'd train KB's after yoga.... Sure I was a bit tired, but being soaking wet was more irritating than anything else. There I was, me, myself and I......arghh!


Balance Yoga Center has 2 yoga rooms, and while another Bikram class was going on next door, there I was in the 2nd yoga room, soaking wet, no music, and my Gymboss' beep echoing so loud I thought for sure it could be heard throughout the entire place.....


If I'm teaching, I kind of go into "auto-pilot", using the different skill levels of my students to inspire particular combinations of swings, snatches, and anything else more advanced students have the ability to train. I know I can train alone, I did for years, and I'll still train by myself when no one shows up for a class. And it's not always fancy, shmancy combinations, often times I put some of my students through the "boring stuff" they would never, ever, do on their own...I like the boring stuff!


So yesterday was my second "yoga studio" workout...by myself. I knew I had bells there so I scheduled a KB lesson with a newbie at 7:30-8:00am, afterwards I stayed for my own workout....it was brutal (another blogpost for another time!) My garage gym is so much better! So that's where you'll find me, myself, and I, next Thursday! I'm coming home......



Thanks you to Michael Mayle HKC, owner of Balance Yoga Center in the Silver Creek area of San Jose, for letting me pratice my Bikram yoga, and teach Kettlebells at his beautiful new Studio. Am I lucky or what?

12 comments:

Diana said...

I so miss those "garage workout" videos!!!!
Yeah for the happy homecoming!!!!

Training alone ROCKS!!

Mark Reifkind said...

there is nothing, imo, that shows one's true athletic desire more than being able to train alone.

Tracy Reifkind said...

Diana,

Our garage gym has gone through it's own transformations through the years....this last one as a storage locker! But it still has some good energy...

And just in time for winter! Well, a California winter that is, lol!

Tracy Reifkind said...

Sweets,

It's not often anyone finds the same commitment to training in a partner....you've had some great ones over the years, for sure, but I haven't been one of them, lol

You've taught me, by example, what the most important part of training is...alone or with a partner...and that is to show up!

The bell won't swing itself!

Mark Reifkind said...

honey

your commitment to me as my partner in life is what's important, not in the gym,lol.

fawn said...

Damn girl, look at those arms! I am so jealous, you are RIPPED!

Diana said...

I can only hope you never got rid of the giant disco ball-that would make those garage workout videos a thing of beauty!!! IMO!

Mark Reifkind said...

diana

that disco ball is HISTORY~ LOl either way when the garage goes back to it's original state,i.e Stones Gym a disco ball could never be present.

Diana said...

Mark,
I will say a "silent" prayer for the disco ball that no longer has a purpose! LOL!

Tracy Reifkind said...

Diana....my son sold it during my last garage sale! It had to go, but I, myself, will miss it....damn!

It was seriously cool....like us!

Maribel said...

Man Tracy, you are so inspiring! I need to make room in my garage. I'm swinging in my bedroom right now and compared to the nice big roomy space at BYC, it's claustrophobic!

Tracy Reifkind said...

Maribel....too MUCH space at BYC! And...no music, not to mention it's already humid as hell!

Bitch, bitch, bitch!

I remember, at times, swinging in my kitchen and even my hallway! My garage gets plenty freezing at 6:00am in the winter time!