Monday, September 20, 2010

The Blender Diet...revisited


Here's a "blast from the past" blogpost I wrote almost 2 years ago (original post 10/16/08). I was reminded of it because I ended up having a smothie for dinner tonight! I haven't had a smoothie in a long time, but I wanted something cold, creamy, sweet, and filling....in other words, I wanted dessert!(although I made it a bit savory too...read recipe below)



I often pose this question, when talking to someone about what kinds of foods they currently eat in their daily diet...."Would you put all of your days food, from breakfast to dinner, in a blender, blend it all up without adding additional water, and pour it down a kitchen sink that had no garbage disposal?" Most times that question creates the image of the point I'm trying to make.


First off, if you don't eat alot of fresh foods,(vegetables) all of your days food might break a blender! The sludge you're eating, when whipped up, would clog a kitchen sink! What's it doing after you force it down your esophagus? Do you wonder why you're constipated?


And then what would it taste like? Personally, most days I could say that I wouldn't have a problem taking my whole days food, blending it all together and eating it. It would be a loose consistency and because most every one of my meals is veggie based, it would probably taste like a green veggie smoothie, lol! (not as sweet...unless I happened to have a cookie binge that day, LOL!)


Now a whole days food is an dramatic example, so what about just one meal? How many of each of the meals you eat in a day could you blend together and still eat? What about the meals you feed your kids? If you're not eating enough fresh vegetables, are your kids?


Just some thoughts.


tonights smoothie....

plain yogurt (fage 2%)
maple syrup
1 cup frozen mammey fruit
2 tbl psyllium fiber
1/2 t. cinnamon
good pinch of salt and a good squeeze of lemon (yep salt)
ice


I stirred in 1/2 c. cooked farro. (that's the savory bit!)

No comments: