Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Brick House

On my way to yoga this morning I had the radio on......why is it that there can be so many channels and nothing good to listen to?  Anyway, it seemed as if every station was playing an advertisement so I went looking to some of the channels I don't normally go to first and landed on the R & B oldie station 98.1 KISS radio.  Now, I'm totally old school R & B, I grew up with this kind of music so I'm down!  (omg, did I just write that?)  What comes on?  The Commodores, "Brick House"!  Who does not like "Brick House"?

Who doesn't like the song "Brick House"? These days some people that consider themselves "PC" I would guess!  I mean the lyrics are outrageous if you think about it!

(chorus)
She's a brick----house
Mighty mighty, just lettin' it all hang out
She's a brick----house
The lady's stacked and that's a fact, 
ain't holding nothing back. 

(verse)
She knows she got everything
a woman needs to get a man, yeah. 
How can she use, the things she use
36-24-36, what a winning hand! 

I mean really!  If a man were to say these things about a woman today he would be, oh I don't know, lets just say it's a bit objective.  (of course I know modern music, especially rap music is crazy nasty, but let me finish)  Music gets away with so much doesn't it?

So, I'm listening to this song, feeling the beat, remembering the "day", but kind of laughing at the lyrics.  Then I started thinking about this woman, this "brick house" of a woman.  Who is she?

She is not so much objectified in her opinion as she is in charge of her life.  In this song, this woman, this "brick house", uses her feminine shape and sexuality as an advantage, and it seemed obvious by the description, in a modern taste, what she might look like.  But is it her actual measurements or her energy, her confidence that makes her attractive?  I started to look closer and see more meaning behind "brick house".

I started imagining the confidence, the power, the strength of a brick house.  The solidness of a structure that was unshakable.  For women I think some of that can in fact come with the feeling that we look good, nice, pretty, beautiful, sexual...smart, clever, witty and sophisticated...strong.  But all of these feelings are subjective.  We can feel like we are all these things no matter what anybody else thinks of our looks, or how we act!  That is the definition of confidence.

Moving on to more of a literal translation.  "Brick house".  Solid.  Strong.  Quality.  Unmovable.  Lasting.  Engineered.  Structured.  Serious and ready for whatever life, the weather, the elements will bring.

I visualized myself as a "brick house" in every meaning of the term.  As a woman confident in her presence. As a woman that knows who she is and does not apologize for wanting more in life, to be more, to be my best.  To be that structure that does not compromise.

As a woman competing in a sport that requires strength I could see my "brick house", my physical body snatching a heavy kettlebell overhead and locking out with the strongest of foundations that I prepared and built, brick by brick, practice by practice.  I could see my body as a brick house under that bell, unafraid and almost daring it to take me down....knowing I was stronger, smarter, and I would be the winner.

I grabbed my phone and wrote myself a note..."brick house".  This is the image I will see if and when feel doubt.  This is the image to which I will build a stronger confidence. This is the image I will concentrate on as I fall asleep at night.  I will put it all together, one by one, day by day, I will show up and do the work, cuz I'm a brick house!  I'm mighty mighty!



6 comments:

Diana said...

I'm a total "brick house" fan, but I consider myself more of a Rick James..."super freak" type!!! LOL..

You're gonna love my music collection!

Tracy Reifkind said...

Diana,

There are so many relevant song titles! We could go on forever! Just before my first GS meet I was listening to the same station when "Can't Touch This" came on (MC Hammer)...the long version! It was really fun to hear at that particular time!

chrystad72 said...

I actually never really thought about the words to this song too much but now I am. Its kinda stuck in my head now at the moment. Ha! I really like your interpretation of it though. Brick House = strong. Love it!

Maribel said...

Look up Brick House in the dictionary and your picture is there ;)

Tracy Reifkind said...

chrystad,

Thanks, I like the image too! In fact everything that I do now, from how I train, to what I eat I can see it's just me building a stronger and stronger structure. "Structure" is open to interpretation also.

To me my structure is my life as a whole. I'd rather be building a lie, and adding to it that letting it deteriorate, fall apart, get weak, compromise.

Tracy Reifkind said...

Maribel,

That's funny! But thanks! I'm working on it!