Thursday, November 22, 2012

Giving Thanks

For the very first year since I learned how to cook a proper Thanksgiving dinner, I've decided to change things up a bit!

Turkey
Gravy
Mashed Potato
Yam, Butternut and Choizo "Croquette's" with jalapeno and cilantro
Green Salad with Persimmon, dressed with Cranberry Vinegrette

Man, did it just get all fancy smancy at the end?  I really didn't mean for it to!  The truth is that I've been wanting to make these sweet potato/chorizo patties, that I made last year, again, and I thought this would be a great meal to incorporate them into.  No bread stuffing this year, and it has nothing to do with the fact that it's "bread".  No baked yams with brown sugar and butter.  No green beans with bacon, because no one really likes them!

Yesterday I made some components of today's meal including roasting the turkey!  I've been roasting my turkey (s) the day before for years and years now, so technically I serve "leftovers"!  Food and dishes easily pile up because I have a tiny kitchen and getting a large meal orchestrated with a house full of guests, especially in the last moments before serving, gets crazy.

The biggest decision I have to make this morning is should I try and get a yoga practice in after my own training and 8:15am class at the studio?  Really a bigger question is should I try and do some last minute shopping at Whole Foods around 12 noon?  LOL!

The reason why I want to go to WF is that I actually, finally, need a bit of sugar, and a bit of flour, and they sell those ingredients in the bulk section so I can only buy what I need!  (sugar for the cranberries and flour for the gravy)  Otherwise I could just walk across the street and shop at Safeway if I wanted to buy a whole pound of sugar and 5lbs of flour.....geez, life's decisions are rough! I've got some high quality problems for sure!

I'm only cooking for two guests, my youngest son and his fiance Lilly, Mark has to train at 1:00pm....it's going to be totally casual....I think I answered my own question.  Yoga, Safeway?  What would you do?

Have a great day, but most important if you celebrate anything, celebrate the opportunity to give thanks for any or all parts of your lucky life.  I love my life...my lucky life!

(Oh, and Lilly is making the pie!  Thank you Lilly!)


7 comments:

Mahda16 said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours...

Mark Reifkind said...

It was Awesome lovey!You are such an amazing cook. :))

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Tracy Reifkind said...

Mary Ann,

It was a happy day for sure, and as it all turned out just the start of a great long weekend! I hope your weekend was a happy one too!

Tracy Reifkind said...

my sweetie,

It was a pretty awesome day with some great food! Thanks Lovey!

Tracy Reifkind said...

BofT,

Thanks for commenting!

Kimberly said...

Cranberry vinaigrette? That sounds like a recipe we need posted!!