Friday, November 16, 2012

"Fave Five" My absolute favorite "No Brainer" Swing Squat workout!

I have so many favorite workouts, really I do, BUT I can't remember the last time I did the same workout every week for five weeks in a row!  It's the only way I've been able to bring myself to practice my squats every week!  (I'm being dramatic! But seriously, it's helped!)



 This workout only has 5 swing reps at a time, and a set of 1 swing/1 goblet squat x 5 reps.  The 5 swings start on the "15 sec" interval, and the sw/sq set takes 30 seconds to complete with a 30 sec rest period afterwards. It's a simple 1-5 ladder.

"Fave Five"

5 sw x 1 set (15 sec to work and rest per set of 5 reps)
1 sw/1sq x 5 reps (30/30)


5 sw x 2 sets (30 sec)
1 sw/1sq x 5 reps (30/30)


5 sw x 3 sets (45 sec)
1 sw/1sq x 5 reps (30/30)

5 sw x 4 sets (1 min)
1 sw/1sq x 5 reps (30/30)

5 sw x 1 set (1 min 15)
1 sw/1sq x 5 reps (30/30)

8.75 min per rotation, but here's the real beauty....100 swings, 25 goblet squats!  I love when that happens!


So basically it's easy to add up swing and squat reps at the end of a workout.  On average I've been completing 3 rotations for a 28 minute workout...pretty decent!  And because you are only swinging 5 reps you can use a bell appropriately heavy for squats.

The first time I did Fave Five I used three bells progressively heavier (12kg, 16kg, 20kg).  Yesterday I was more tired than I thought so I managed only two rotations, one with the 14kg and this one I've posted with the 16kg.  A couple of weeks ago I used double 12kg's and that was by far the most difficult.  Squatting with double bells seems more difficult than with a single bell for some reason?

Another reason why I love this workout so much is that goblet squats work my biceps like no other "hold", and who doesn't like a little bicep pump at the end of the day?  lol

PS I've attempted to video tape it before but the Studio I work at has been too busy for me to find a private space and set up camera.  

10 comments:

Diana said...

What a great workout! I wish I would have had this earlier in the morning....my squats today consisted of dbl front. This looks like it actually may make squats seem like a good time! OK, lets face it "fun squats" is an oxymoron! I hate squats. I can see doing this with a heavy bell, say the 24kg, even just for one round when my schedule is super busy. I could do this workout after a 12hr shift-how else would anyone want to end a long day-with squats of course! LOL
Absolutely nothing wrong with a little "bicep pump" either!

Unknown said...

I love this routine! And I love you too. Thanks for your wonderful posts. I don't always respond but I always read it.

I really hardly read any blogs anymore since I want to be productive instead of busy but yours is still one that I go to.

I have found out that goblet squats are really good for ab work, and some bennies for the biceps too! So great since I don't directly train either one of those muscles.
Gotta love the bells!!

Tracy Reifkind said...

Diana, Hanneke,

So glad you ladies appreciate this one! It's a keeper for sure! So many ways to make it different but the same and easy to keep track of...I pretty much like everything about it!

Tracy Reifkind said...

Diana,

I haven't done this with the 24kg yet, but I will. I have been doing it at the end of my Tuesday morning workout, NOT the best time to throw the squats in! lol

Tracy Reifkind said...

Hanneke,

Thank you so much, really! I hope there are more than a few more people out there liking this stuff too!

I totally understand the blog reading! There is so much out there and I find it nearly impossible to find the motivation to keep up on it myself!

Good point about the abs too! I agree!

Mahda16 said...

I would love to be counted as the "more than a few".... I love it.... Thanks again!

Tracy Reifkind said...

Mahda16...

I never take it for granted the number of obsessed crazies out there!

Personally I love my training! I think it's fun as hell and I'm surprised it hasn't really caught on "big time"!

Yes, I got a crazy good book deal out of it, but I want more people to follow through! I'm here for you all! I'll always show up and be your training partner!

Mahda16 said...

Tracy, I purchased "The Swing" and I love it! Pure common sense. Thanks for putting it down in words. I agree, can't believe that more people have sung KB praises.

guy said...

This practice works so much, in so short a time as well! Your a giver...yes you are BossLady!

Tracy Reifkind said...

Guy,

Maybe we should all train it once a week and post the weights we used and how many rounds we did?

But I think it may be time to kick it up a notch! Maybe I'll have time, and energy, to make it just a wee bit more irritating!

Thanks for all of your comments!