Saturday, March 24, 2012

My Favorite Things



OK, I admit I'm ripping off Oprah....hey, if you have to rip someone off you might as well start at the top!



My favorite pie plate is a white Emile Henry pie plate.  I once owned three, one in white, green and red, but the white one is my favorite.  I love the color, or "non color" white....it's clean and bright.  And since I've been making a "quitatta" practically every day (ok, every single day, I made two this afternoon!) I've been using it a lot.  White plates and serving pieces look more professional in a way that I like, less fussy.  I purchased this brand of ovenware way back when I worked at a gourmet kitchen store, and only two of the three I bought have made "the cut" of my recent purges!  (the other I kept is the hunter green color).  Now that I'm using them everyday I could see wanting another, more current color, but I'll refrain!  "I have enough, in fact I have more than enough" (my mantra).



http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000636WQ/ref=asc_df_B0000636WQ1950357?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395093&creativeASIN=B0000636WQ&hvpos=none&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14458169301930483058&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=



After work and my training this morning I stopped at the market to pick up a few supplies for my weekend cooking.  Since I knew I would be making a couple of quitattas I bought some goat cheese, asparagus, leeks and green garlic.  I also bought some of my favorite cottage cheese and yogurt.....long story short....I've stopped making my own yogurt because I was eating too much of it!  My favorite treat these days besides farro, peanut butter and raisins is, yogurt, lime juice and Grape-Nuts cereal....it is the weekend after all!



Knudsen cottage cheese, full fat of course, and Straus Family plain yogurt, again, full fat.  I don't believe "fat" makes you fat, but my second choices are 2% "reduced" fat versions, rarely do I buy non fat....if you are fatter than you want to be it's not the extra 20 calories per serving of yogurt or cottage cheese you are eating that's making you fat!  (imo)



At the end of the day, preparing foods we love with the most amazing ingredients we can afford has nothing to do with what we serve it in....but do whatever makes you feel good!


2 comments:

guy said...

That is one of the prettiest dishes that you have ever posted Ma'am!

Tracy Reifkind said...

Guy,

It's been said that we eat with our eyes first! Not me...beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I do appreciate a pretty plate!