Thursday, March 29, 2012

Beginner / Intermediate Swing Routine "Ten" (under 20 minutes)

Ten at a time...two swing combinations only, 10 reps done with a 2 hand swing, and 10 R/ 10 L one hand swings (20 rep set).  This workout is designed to use only one bell, although in the video I use two I explain why.  "Ten" has two rotations, the second slightly more difficult in length of work sets but the total rep counts are the same, as are the rest periods.  In other words both variations are "equal work to equal rest".

I suggest repeating only the first rotation twice if you have only been practicing the swing for less that 2-3 months (consisently!), and then when you are ready to move onto 1 minute + work sets, train the second rotation.

But really the bottom line is even if you consider yourself at an advanced level, especially if you consider yourself at an advanced level, you should still be able to use this template with the appropriate bell, rest intervals, and technique, to make this an advanced routine....I did!


1st rotation

10 2 hd sw (15/15 = 30 sec)
10 R / 10 L one hand sw (30/30 = 1 min)


10 2 hd sw x 2 (15/15 x 2 = 1 min)
10 R / 10 L one hand sw x 2 (30/30 x 2 = 2 min)


10 2 hd sw x 3 (15/15 x 3 = 1.5 min)
10 R / 10 L one hand sw x 3 (30/30 x 3 = 3 min)

180 total swings 9 minutes per rotation


2nd rotation

10 2 hd sw (15/15)
10 R / 10 L one hand sw (30/30)


10 2 hd sw x 2 (15/15 x 2 = 1 min) OR 20 2 hd sw x 1 (30/30 = 1 min)
10 R / 10 L / 10 R / 10 L one hand sw (40 reps, 1 min/1 min)


10 2 hd sw x 3 (15/15 x 3 = 1.5 min) OR 30 2 hd sw (45 sec/45 sec)
10 R / 10 L, /10 R / 10 L, / 10 R / 10 L one hand sw (60 reps! 1.5 min/1.5 min)

180 total swings 9 minutes per rotation


Advanced super secret variation!

10 2 hd sw x 1
10/10 x 2 1 hd sw x 1 (40 reps 1 min work, 30 sec rest)
10 2 hd sw x 2
10/10 x 4 1 hd sw x 1 (80 reps 2 min work, 1 min rest)
10 2 hd sw x 3
10/10 x 6 x 1 (120 reps 3 min work/1.5 min rest)
10 2 hd sw x 4
10/10 x 8 1 hd sw x 1 (160 reps 4 min work/2 min rest)
super duper variation
10 2 hd sw x 5
10/10 x 10 1 hd swing (200 reps, 5 min work)
750 swings 27.5 minutes

Oh, and don't forget to like my facebook fan page!  I posted another training tip this afternoon related to this workout!

http://www.facebook.com/TracyReifkindTheSwing


7 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks again!

The fact that you posted less routines these past two weeks has been interesting for me. I designed a few of my own, which was challenging and fun.
And I did an oldie. Did the routine you posted on December 16 2010. With a heavy bell. What can I say? It was tough.....gotta love the kettlebells!

Tracy Reifkind said...

Hanneke,

I had been training really hard for a couple of months and peaked a couple of weeks ago when I did the "5's" workout and have been recovering!

I'm back now and with a different focus on my training for the next couple of months. I'll be writing more about it because I'm excited to test out this next phase.

Also....the reason I post so many workouts besides the fact that I want everybody to train, is that I want everybody to learn how to do it on their own too! That's what my DVD "Programming the KB Swing" is all about and why I produced that one first!

The Pink Artspot said...

I noticed that you're moving more into routines with sets that are more than one minute long...and have the 2 minute sets in your book. Is this a new thought/approach or one that you just haven't got into much here on the blog?
Just curious...

Mark Reifkind said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Tracy Reifkind said...

Jen,

All types of training, lighter long and methodical, slower versus high intensity, short and heavy...fast and heavy, light and short (5's),etc. have different effects.

I've been training for over 6 years and up until the last year alot of my own training will include up to 5 minute long sets, (and longer) in fact the super advanced workout I posted without video is part of the workout I did before I taped this one, and I went up to a 200 rep work set (5 minutes long, no rest). But one doesn't start there obviously.

In my book I do write a program to demonstrate as a relative beginner how to get to the 2 minute set progressively, but here on my blog it's about my own personal training and the current work I do leading others in my classes. Most people reading my blog workouts haven't been training with me! I want people to experience success with training! I don't want to write a routine with 1 minute and longer sets because I've worked with beginners for many years and I know how hard 10-20 reps is for most people! this is why I posted two workout videos. One with 10 and 20 reps and another with the option of 1 1/2 min set....it's all good! But only if you do the progressive work to get you to the longer sets.

I don't journal 99% of my own workouts because, as you can tell by the "super advanced" workout here it's not for a beginner! Two minutes sets are not necessary but they do have a place and an advantage, as I explain...but you have to want to train for that.

Does this answer you question?

The Pink Artspot said...

Hi Tracy,
Yes, it does!
As a beginner, I really enjoy seeing the differences in the various levels, so that I can see what I'm working towards and what may be possible to attain in the future.
For myself, yes, getting to the 40 rep mark was a long process, and I doubt I'm going beyond it anytime soon (The 55 workout nearly knocked me out, lol), but it IS great to see what's in my future if I keep up the work and I've seen how going progressive gets the results over time.
Thank you, as always, for posting such great workouts and taking time to answer questions!

Seretha said...

Tracy,
Just started the workout last week and love it. But when I swing between my knees I'm having pain in my left Kidney. Is this to be expected in the beginning? I'm slowing down to make sure I am doing it properly. Also I ordered my kettlebells so I've only been using a 3 lb. Weight until they come in. Am I doing something wrong? I need this! Turned 58 today. I've always been in great shape, because of working out. But went through menopause and depression about 12 years ago and STOPPED EVERYTHING! I'm fighting to live again! Thank you for inspiring me to think its possible!