Friday, March 16, 2012

I Wasn't Born to Be Fat


In my book I write about how I thought for a very long time, most of my life, it was my genetics that determined why I was going to be fat, or "battle" with my weight forever, until the day I died.  It seemed as if I was fat the day I was born because I can't remember anything different.  My weight was something that was not my fault and I couldn't help.  There was nothing I could do to change it....or change it for long.  Of course I did lose weight numerous times, and yes I did gain it back.  But I don't believe that it was the "dieting" that set me up to gain the weight back, it was my own habits of overeating that made me gain it back.  Overeating, combined with the wrong foods, mostly convenient and processed foods, were in fact to blame.

I also remember overeating as a child.  I knew I ate more than my sisters or my friends, maybe even my parents, but I didn't know why, or think it was strange, I was just hungry!  Or so I thought.  As a young child I was not aware, consciously of my own emotional health, and I'm not going to go back over it as an adult now.  I can simply look back and yes, acknowledge that, in fact, I did overeat....for whatever reasons.

Imagine my surprise when I finally realized this was not my fate!  And it wasn't that long ago!  Even after I lost 120lbs I was unsure....  But everyday I kept feeling better and better, looking better and better, until finally I was convinced!  I wasn't born to be fat!  What a relief!  Not only was I not born to be fat, but I was given a second chance to be the athletic and fit person I always admired and wanted to be.

I'm not suffering in any way.  I do not feel like I'm sacrificing anything, especially food.  I'm not starving and I'm not restricting.  I don't overeat the way I used to, not even close, and I don't miss it at all.  What I would miss is the way I look and feel now, and I'm not going to be giving this up!  I wasn't born to be fat and I will not die fat.

I don't want to make it sound like being fat is the worst thing in the world, far from it, I'm only suggesting that it's not a life sentence.  It's not a sentence at all.  Just something that some of us experience.

6 comments:

Leslie said...

Thank you for this.

Marsha said...

You are the first person who gives advice and workouts that really hit home for me.

I have a similar story Tracy and I thank you for all of your posts. I have been following for a month or so and I absolutely look forward to see what you say next.
I love the workouts and I am following them.

You are creative with the swing combo's and the video's are such a help.

Just got the book and I love it as well. I am so happy I found you.
This is changing me in many , many ways and not just my body , my soul is smiling . I feel good from the inside out.

Thank you............

Juci SFG said...

I love it.

Tracy Reifkind said...

Leslie,

If this is the Leslie I think it is...love you! Even if it's not, I still love you, lol!

Tracy Reifkind said...

Marsha,

Thank you so much for commenting.

When I was growing up in the 60's I was the only fat kid in my school...not just the only fat girl, but the only fat kid! That was annoying!

The fattest, the skinniest, the weirdest, the "brainiac", the one with zits, the one that wet the bed....whatever! It's all the same, but at the end of the day who are you now?

I love the fact that I'm 48 years old and I wouldn't change a thing!

Tracy Reifkind said...

Juci,

I love Hungary, and I love Hungarian people! Seriously. I hope and I pray that I will be spending more time in your country, and if some or most of that time is with you and your friends I will be on top of the world....or on top of a random building! lol!