Friday, October 10, 2008

"Live" Trail Mix


Since trying to maintain an overly calorie restrictive diet, I've come up with all kinds of ways to satisfy my wanting to eat, while keeping calories low, that's one of the reasons I always base my snacks and meals around veggies first (I'm even now exploring dessert recipes that include vegetables!). Two of my favorite foods are raisins (I put them in everything), and peanuts, or peanut butter.....peanut butter is the food of Gods! One of my favorite, favorite snacks is to eat carrot and celery sticks with PNB and raisins, I didn't have any PNB, but I had a small amount of peanuts (I purposely only buy small amounts of "trigger" foods, like PNB, yogurt is another...if I have a quart of yogurt, I'll eat a quart of yougurt, lol).


I took my carrot and celery, diced them very small, and chopped the peanuts and raisins so as I ate it by the handful I could get a little taste of everything all at once! I call this "live" trail mix!


1-2 carrot, diced small (I used a orange and yellow carrot in this pc)

1-2 celery stalk, diced small

1 oz raisins (organic)

1 oz peanuts (unsalted raw, organic)

pinch of salt (of course, lol)


This made about 1 cup of live trail mix for about 200 calories. Another live trail mix idea

Waldorf trail mix
celery
apple
dried cranberry
walnuts

Any dried fruit and nut or seed (pumkins seeds would be good!) can be combined with celery, carrot, and/or broccoli stems. This can be a way of adding more fresh, raw, veggies into your diet.

10 comments:

Renee Yorkievitz, RKC said...

What a yummy idea! Leave it to you to put things together that are right under our noses in our kitchens! Great combo. Even my kids will love this one.

Concrete Queen said...

Tracy,
What a Great & Creative Blend...LOVE it !

"Girlfriend" Get Down
with your bad self !

Jo said...

Hey tracy, what are those yellow bits?

Unknown said...

I just love yummy food.... thanks for sharing the recipe.

Tracy Reifkind said...

Renee,

Necessity is the "mother of invention", LOL!

Tracy Reifkind said...

Yvonne,

I can't wait to hear that you did this, and how you like it!

Tracy Reifkind said...

Jo,

In the recipe ingredient list I put in parenthesis I used a yellow carrot in addition to the orange. Purple carrots would be fun too, although I don't find them as sweet.

Tracy Reifkind said...

raike,

The more nuts and dried fruit you can use the better! (if calories allow) And the variety is endless...

Pumpkin or sunflower seeds, and coconut would be good too, just leave out the M&M's, lol!

Jo said...

Hah! I was under the impression that carrots were low in GI(16-17?), at least according to the glycemic index website. But as for beets, I use about 1/3 (Shared with mikee) at a time so its not too bad right? But ultimately, I never get hungry after my morning drink for hours so I am guessing the GI is relatively low otherwise my blood sugar would probably spike.

Unfortunately, i HATE celery. :P But I should definitely try to sneak in as much green as I can. Spinach and broccoli seem to work well in the juices.

Tracy Reifkind said...

Jo,

The important thing is that it's working for you! During my "daily weigh in" days too many carrots, beets and buttenut squash always created water retention....bloating. I don't like that, lol!

Because beets are red I can tell when they "exit" my body, and it always takes 2 days! I don't like anything to stay in my body 2 days, lol!