Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Strength, Speed, Endurance

Strength, speed, endurance....pick one! Sometimes you can pick a couple, or all three, but not every workout, nor do you need to.

Tuesday morning I lead an hour long class and I do make most of that hour challenging for myself. Personally I like to "warm up" so I usually swing light (light for me) for the first 10-15 minutes before I scale up and make the workload more appropriate. Normally after class I keep training for another 30 minutes but lately Mark and I have been training Max and yesterday he let me know that 60 sets were on the schedule this week.....hmmnn....that's 30 minutes of serious cardio endurance.

I've been going heavier in previous weeks using the 16kg for 5's and the 14g for 7's but I just wasn't feelin' the heavier bells yesterday. Straight up 15/15 Max w/12kg is not really a challenge so I thought about adding swings into the rest period (work into rest for those of you that know my method of training that), but to be honest I had done enough swings earlier (I can't believe I just said that, lol).

Traditional Max for me would be 8 reps per 15 sec, but I wasn't feelin' like going that fast....

How could I make 7's with the 12kg challenging? I know, do two 15 sec sets back to back (switching hands) and take only one 15 sec rest period. Perfect. The best part was that I didn't have to keep track set by set and the time flew by like crazy! Max can get plenty boring after 40 sets....




10 sets of 7 reps (5 R, 5 L) 15/15
32 sets of 7/7, 30/15

518 snatches, 29 min.

Mark snatches at an 8 rep pace although he was training 7 reps yesterday, so it was a bit of a challenge for me to keep up with him....I love being in sync when we train.

2 comments:

Maribel said...

you guys look so cool doing it in unison!

Tracy Reifkind said...

Maribel,

It's pretty cool to be able to train together....I get to train with a Master! I learn so much, not just about the physical part of training but to train with an athlete I see the mental side of it too.

It's nice to finally feel as if I'm a worthy training partner!