Wednesday, February 4, 2009

If You Can't Be with the One You Love, Honey, love the one you're with!

The kinder, gentler words of wisdom to my last blogpost would be these words, and that really is the message. The words to that song always humored me, and I never thought I would interpret those words to be about myself, the "skinny" me, or the "perfect me" I'm waiting to love, while missing out on enjoying and appreciating what I have, and who I am right now. The message is to love yourself wherever you are.....250 lbs, 200 lbs, 188 lbs, 165 lbs. 138 lbs, 120 lbs.......



Remember when we look back at old photos of ourselves and say, "I can't believe how skinny I was...and I thought I was fat!" Or, " Look at how young I was." If you don't appreciate where you are right now, tomorrow could be worse! You will never be as young as you are right at this moment....never! Each moment that goes by we lose forever, and then what? Good Lord! Mark just reminded me that everyone is going to get old and die, or die young! You are never guaranteed another breath. There will always be someone skinnier than you.....someone prettier, smarter, richer, younger, but there will never be anyone luckier than you, if you see it that way!



I don't like getting caught up in the number on the scale, but this makes a point.....this past summer my bodyweight was 138lbs-140lbs. I remember at one time, jokingly, saying, "Good Lord, if I saw 134lbs on the scale I would hang myself"(or God freakin' forbid higher, lol), .....pretty harsh isn't it? Can you imagine? For words like that to even come out of my mouth! We are our own worst emenies, our own Judge and jury.



Looking back, I could say I wasted alot of time and energy throwing myself a pity party, but we can all find ourselves focusing on the wrong things.....how else do we grow? If we never experience "bad", how can we experience "good"? I used to think weighing 134lbs was "bad", and now I know better! I love weighing 134lbs, because that means I don't weigh 140lbs, but so what if I did? Gratitude isn't dependant on your bodyweight.... or the number of wrinkles on your face, or the balance of your bank account.....


Although I'm tired of hearing these catch phrases like "Live in the moment", "Be present", blah, blah, blah, you can't deny that we have the choice of the things we focus on. At each moment I can change the focus of "woulda, coulda, shoulda", to "I'm going to, I will, I am....right now!", not tomorrow, and not if things were different......things are what they are, and that's OK. Be happy, not because of your circumstances, but sometimes in spite of your circumstances.

That's all.

7 comments:

Rita Nemeth, RKC said...

Dear Tracy, I am so glad that we still have your honest wisdom! You are the best inspiration to "be yourself and enjoy it!" :-D

Jon Alford said...

I just borrowed your Don't Bitch post. Hope you don't mind. How many people say "I wish I could look like you. I wish I could work out like you. I wish I could eat like you"? My standard answer is "I'm sorry but you can't. If you're sitting around wishing, you can't. Just don't work that way. Most folks' problem is they believe their own B.S. I work out, I eat right, blah blah. No you don't. Once a week doesn't count. It's the rule, not the exception. You choose which is which. Sorry to rant. Tell Mark I said Hello.
Jon

Mark Reifkind said...

jon

hey man how are you doing? My response is " you can, but you won't. It's just too expensive for you"( not the money, but the time and effort).
to me the key is to look at the people who have what you want, start there and work backwards.copy the best and then adapt it to yourself.

Diana said...

Tracy you have such a gift of the way you say things....you have changed the world and you will always be remembered for it far more than you could ever imagine! :-)

My way of thinking: "Train your weakness, Race your strength"

You are helping me to train my weakness and it's going well, at least it was, small little "bump" in the road that came without any warning, but I will get back to it and you know that I will give it my ALL!
I am happy with where I am right now in life, but I know I could be even happier at doing the things I like to do now even better. I enjoy those damn bells far more than I could have imagined and what they do for your body AND mind is outstanding! To be just about 47 years old and have these hot looking arms, shoulders, upper back, blah, blah? Other people would die to be in my shoes! Too bad they don't want it bad enough!

Tracy Reifkind said...

Rita,

I'm sure my honest wisdom can come across as annoying, lol! Also, when I write stuff like this it's to remind ME too! Nobody's perfect.

Tracy Reifkind said...

Jon,

My Don't Bitch post was just the tip of the iceberg....I routinely shut people down when they start in with their "delusions".

Delusions are fine, but call them what they are....delusions!

Say, "I think I eat right, but I must be delusional because I feel like crap, I look like crap, and I weigh more than I say I want to...."

Tracy Reifkind said...

Diana,

I don't know about changing the world, but I've changed my world!

Just think....(I just read your horror story on you blog!), you've probalbly lost a good amount of weight amd you'll come out of this looking pretty lean too.....yikes!

If this kind of shit doesn't curb your appetite nothing will!