Friday, May 30, 2014

Thursday 10 x 10 Swing Workout, and 5 Minute Snatch Test Sets

Two weeks ago I posted the snatch training cycle I wrote for my Thursday morning training partners and I to test a 5 minute continuous snatch set with a weight both Brenda (18kg) and Maribel (16kg) had never tested with before, and for me a weight I had only tested once before (20kg) (http://tracysfoodandthought.blogspot.com/2014/05/thursday-10-x-10-59-be-your-own.html).  We all completed the sets successfully!  I'll tell you all about it, but first I'd like to share this week's 10 x 10 with you, and the advanced workout that follows (in shorthand).


Today's 10 x 10 combines 2 of those sets of ten twice, together for two sets of 20.  It equals 100 reps in 5 minutes, same as a traditional 10 x 10.  Technically I divided the 10 sets into two rounds of 5 sets.

10 x 3
20 x 1 ( the first round of five sets, combine sets 4 and 5 together)
10 x 2
20 x 1
10 x 1 (the second round of five sets, combine sets 2 and 3 together)

After the three of us completed our snatch sets we did this more advanced progression of the above 10 x 10.

10 reps x 5 sets (round one)
10 reps x 3 sets, 20 reps x 1 set (round two combines sets 4 and 5 together)
10 reps x 2 sets, 30 reps x 1 (round three combines sets 3, 4 and 5)
10 reps x 1 set, 40 reps x 1 (round four combines sets 2, 3,4, and 5)
10 reps x 5 sets (round five)

This workout was done with equal rest, so that means after our sets of 20 we took 30 second rest, set of 30 = 45 sec rest, and set of 40 = 1 min rest.  This was all we had time for, together, and it took 12.5 minutes to complete, 250 swings, we all used the bell a full size heavier than our snatch test bell (Brenda 22kg, Maribel, 20kg, me 24kg)

The girls had to leave so I continued on to tape the 10 x 10 with a 16kg and then continued the advanced version above, using a downhill rep ladder.

50 reps x 1 set (1.25 min/1.25)
40 reps x 1 set, 10 reps x 1 set (combining sets 1,2,3,4)
30 reps x 1 set, 10 reps x 2 sets (combining sets 1,2,3)
20 reps x 1 set, 10 reps x 3 sets (combining sets 1,2)
10 reps x 5

5 rounds of 50 reps = 250 swing, 12.5 min.

20-40 swings is an Inter/Advanced level but anytime there are over 40 swings in a set I consider that solidly advanced!  I think I'll do an Intermediate version of this in class tomorrow, using both the uphill and downhill rep ladder, and it will look like this:

10 reps x 5 sets (round one)
10 reps x 3 sets, 20 reps x 1 set (round two combines sets 4 and 5 together)
10 reps x 2 sets, 30 reps x 1 (round three combines sets 3, 4 and 5)
10 reps x 1 set, 40 reps x 1 (round four combines sets 2, 3,4, and 5)
10 reps x 5 sets (round five)
40 reps x 1 set, 10 reps x 1 set (combining sets 1,2,3,4)
30 reps x 1 set, 10 reps x 2 sets (combining sets 1,2,3)
20 reps x 1 set, 10 reps x 3 sets (combining sets 1,2)
10 reps x 5

You can use all two hand swings, of course, and depending on your strength and cardio conditioning you can use any size bell you want.  Last week we did an all two hand swing workout so this week I'll give my group the option of some one hand swings :) , especially for those long rep sets.

***************



Last March (2013) for the first time ever I attempted, and succeeded, taking my SFG 5 minute snatch test with a 20kg bell, when I was only required to use a 16kg.  I really hadn't planned on it, although I secretly had been considering it for a few weeks prior.  I had been training a lot of double 16kg and single 32kg swings in preparation for the Certification weekend but hadn't done a 20 kg snatch, not even one rep since Oct of the previous year!  Well, this past year I've done plenty of heavier snatches using the 18, 20 and even 24kg, mostly in my KB sport practice, not so much in my regular Hardstyle conditioning practice.  Because of this I know I can complete 100 18kg snatch reps in 5 minutes pretty much any time, and in fact I completed 96 18kg snatches in 5 minutes switching hands only one time!  But there is a world of difference between the 18kg and the 20kg, as I was quickly reminded of this yesterday!

I believe in heavy swing training to aid in snatch testing, and it proved to be valid at my first attempt, but this time I thought I would practice heavy snatches to prepare to test heavy snatches....I'm not sure it was better, in fact I'm thinking it wasn't.  It's been my plan, after this test, to then do another heavy double and single swing cycle and then test again, which I will do next.

Since learning, practicing and competing in Kettlebell Sport I'm not afraid of 5 or 10 minute long sets.  KB Sport is a different than training with kettlebells for exercise and fitness so the techniques have been developed for a very specific goal that requires the athlete to go the distance of a 10 minute set while only allowing to switch hands one time.  Yes another goal is to do as many reps as possible in that 10 minute competition set, but it's about pacing, not all out sprinting.  5 min sets, and certainly being allowed to switch hands whenever you need to, gives you the luxury of going faster.  For instance, there was no way at the end of yesterday's set I could have done even one more rep!

Competition kettlebells are different than Hardstyle kettlebells in their size and their purpose.  I won't go into all of the details, but HS sets/reps have the emphasis on short and explosive movement which is why the smaller more dense black cast iron bells compliment, BUT that being said the handles on the cast iron bells are thicker (traditionally).  You can find smaller handles on different brands of cast iron bells, but the ones we own have the larger size.  This adds to the difficulty for those of us with smaller hands, females mostly, and it's the reason why I considered using a comp bell.  I decided against it for a couple of reasons.  I wanted to challenge my grip, but I also knew that if I used a comp bell I would most likely use more of a GS technique to complete the set, and I didn't want to do that, this time.  Yes, I will also do it again using a comp bell, but I plan on doing it more often so I'll have plenty of chances to play around with it.

What did I learn from yesterday's set?

I went in with NO plan!  Big mistake.  The first time I did this last year I went in with no plan and it worked out, but not this time.  At the first hand switch I decided to keep snatching past 10 reps (14) because I felt stronger on my left side.  This backfired on me.  When I realized it backfired I lost my focus on technique and had to work much harder controlling the bell than I should have.  Although I kept 20 rpm pace until the 4 minute I had too many hand switches (transfers) which took time, but mostly energy.  Next time I will stick to switching hands every 30 seconds no matter what the rep count is.  I should have cruised into the last minute, instead I had already started to tense up the minutes prior and it cost me the ability to really sprint to the finish.  Yes, I sped up, but with only 5 seconds remaining I could not do even one more snatch rep!

The other "mistake" I made was that I waited 2 weeks since my last heavy snatch workout which was too long.  I wanted to do the test before I went on our trip to Italy, but ideally I would have liked to have waited no longer than 8 days.  A 14 day back off left me flat....but I suspected that could be a problem and still, wanting to accommodate everybody's schedule, including my trip to Chicago, I waited too long.  Mark always says you should "go in hungry" for it, but I didn't feel that way.  Last week would have been better!





I also wanted to share Brenda and Maribel's last minute of their tests.  Maribel had never tested the 5 min 16kg snatch before not even for a baseline starting point!  Brenda had completed the 16kg snatch a couple of times before, and I think last August was the last time she did it.  Both women had not even tested their 12kg 5 minute sets in a really really long time, maybe over a year ago, and they made yesterday's sets look easy!  I think this proves even more how valuable our swing training is.....at least the way I do it!



Brenda volunteered first and completed 105 reps, Maribel went second and also completed 105 reps.  This "test" is similar to the SFG strength test only in the fact that the first goal is 100 reps in that time, but since my experience with training and competing KB Sport I believe you shouldn't stop at 100 if you have time left on the clock!  The test sets I do in my own practice and those of my students will always be for the full 5 minutes.  Lots of lessoned learned making the next attempt one I look forward to!

BUT I can say just a couple more things.....I was and am more sore yesterday and today than I have ever, ever, been training kettlebells before.  I felt a large strain in my right side pec (chest) muscle during the last minute, which is why you see me switch more often.  I attribute this to losing my focus on technique creating much more stress on my muscles than was needed.  I had already decided to, maybe, never try and train for the 24kg 5 minute snatch before I even did this one, and now I'm thinking it's the right decision.  I'm 50 years old and the last thing I want to do is injure myself doing something I never need to do.  I'm plenty strong now and I plan on staying that way!

2 comments:

Diana said...

Great job and congratulations to all you fine ladies!

Tracy Reifkind said...

Thanks Diana! I gotta do this more often because damn, this time was hard...I mean fun!