Thursday, June 5, 2014

Sinister Swing, Italian Style.....and a very Sinister Swing Ladder workout!

The first time I went to Italy was in 1998, I was the first person in my family to travel to Europe!  Well technically, since I invited and brought my mother along I guess we were the first two, in our family, to travel to Europe.  In 1995, when I was 32 years old I was determined to learn how to cook, and my determination turned into a passion.  My new passion inspired me to book an Italian cooking vacation in the hills of Tuscania!  Here is where we stayed http://www.casacaponetti.com/.  It was then I started dreaming of traveling to and experiencing other countries and cultures.

My next trip to Italy was two years later and 40 pounds heavier, my third trip, the following year, I topped the scales close to 260lbs, and was as fat as I ever would be.  I almost made it my duty to eat as much authentic Italian food as I possibly could and coming home on the plane I truly felt as if my skin was going to explode....and I'm not kidding.  But that was then and this is now!

Now?  Well, now it's been ten years since that last trip and I've lost over 120lbs.  It was Italy and the desire to do more international travel that fueled my desire to finally get rid of the unhealthy state of my body. After discovering the kettlebell, a major change in my diet and a clear understanding of my eating behaviors (overeating) I can still enjoy every kind of authentic Italian food I want!

With the help of my friend Julie Petrantoni translating, in preparation for our trip we did a quick and hard 10 minute workout of my own original "Sinister" done Italian Style!



Tracy Reifkind's Original Sinister Swing

Four sets started every 30 seconds with a full 30 second rest after the fourth set.

5, 10, 15, 20


Each round takes 2.5 minutes and equals 50 swing reps.




My co-swinger and student Julie has gone through a bit of a transformation herself, now 20 + pounds lighter!  When Julie started training with me, after reading my story in Tim Ferriss's "The Four Hour Body", she discovered strength, muscle, and a leanness she didn't know she could have, and look at her now!  Last year she cut back on her professional job as an attorney and now is a full time mother of three small girls but she still finds the time to workout regularly because with kettlebells the training is quick and efficient.  Barely 40, Julie is proof again that it's never too late to start, and that it is definitely possible to look better and feel better no matter what our age. (ps, this was the very first time Julie had ever done my Sinister Swing routine!)

*******************



Tuesday morning after packing and before leaving for our trip I knocked out a quick Sinister Swing Ladder in our garage gym.  Knowing I had limited time, but unlimited sizes of kettlebells I decided to complete 1 round with 6 different weights each, from the 12kg up to the 32kg and back down again, completing 11 rounds in total.  Excuse my appearance, but I had to basically roll out of bed to get this done, but training (for me) ain't a beauty contest!  Here is the second half of the workout starting with the 32kg, laddering down to the 12kg.  I don't do much talking until I get back down to the 20kg and finally have some extra breath!



One round each w/12kg, 16kg, 20kg, 24kg, 28kg, 32kg, 28kg, 24kg, 20kg, 16kg, 12kg.





No comments: