Monday, March 24, 2014

When there's a will, there's a way! Savory oats for tomorrow's lunch!

I was shocked at how much I loved this newest savory oats recipe that I tried (Mark Bittman's http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2009/01/mark-bittmans-savory-oatmeal-with-scallions-and-soy-sauce-recipe.html), that only suggested green scallions and soy sauce.  I posted my picture of the bowl I made on Facebook and had a couple of comments about adding a fried egg on top.  I'm not a huge fan of runny yolks (although I wish I was) but Tuesday Foster suggested maybe I try a hard boiled egg, sliced, on top.  I decided to meet in the middle.  I soft boiled two eggs, which I will gently reheat tomorrow, using a microwave, that will most likely produce something between a soft and a hard yolk.


I've been keeping part time vegetarian for maybe 5 days out of seven in a week, so I'm due for some kind of animal protein soon.  Tomorrow might as well be the day!  



I soaked some thick, old fashioned, oats in water all day to soften and swell, then I transferred them to the refrigerator.  Tomorrow I will microwave them (at work) to heat them up.  They are pretty much soft/cooked, all they need is heat at this point.  Since the eggs, scallions and soy sauce will be left to come to room temp in the hours before lunch (5:30am-10:00am) it should only take 20-30 seconds to heat the eggs, without "cooking" them any further.  I might even be able to skip trying to reheat in the mic, instead using the residual heat of the piping hot oats.


I'm using some soy sauce packets that I had left over in my fridge...why not?  Simple preplanning and packing.  When there's a will, there's a way!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Will have to try this with Quinoa Flakes as I am having to stay far away from oatmeal and other foods containing gluten. This sounds delicious. Will try it with Braggs Aminos rather than soy sauce too. :)

Tracy Reifkind said...

Tracy,

Oats don't contain gluten.

Unknown said...

But if one has a gluten sensitivity, oatmeal can cause issues especially if they were cross-contaminated. I started eating oatmeal again a couple weeks ago and it was the one thing I added to my diet that was different. I had a hive-like breakout from them. As soon as I stopped eating them, I healed up. It was McCann's oatmeal. Any way, I'm staying away from anything that could remotely cause issues and feeling better. It's not the first time I've had problems. The Quinoa Flakes are just as good. Will try them like this sometime.