Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Six O'Clockatarian

I've been writing and sharing a lot about my "rules" lately and one of my most successful "rules" that  has turned into a habit is not eating after 6:00 pm.  Take into consideration that I get out of bed at 4:00am, and I get to take a nap between 3:00-4:00pm, AND I don't have young children to feed.  This may not be realistic for some people, but I do have to add that I started this rule when my 23 year old was 15, so I did manage to feed him and stay within my own set limitations.

I prefer to finish eating all foods and meals before 6:00pm, given that I've eaten enough before that time.  If I try and starve, then it's just going to be a mental battle all night long.  Anybody that's ever tried to "diet" by way of restricting calories, has tried to starve the weight off, and most of the time, not all of the time, it doesn't quite work out the way we plan!

When we socialize, especially, or travel, sticking to a routine or schedule seems practically impossible!  And this goes for just about any routine or schedule, whether you prefer not to eat after 6:00 pm or keep a vegetarian diet, or vegan, or paleo lifestyle...unless you are a "vegetarian", vegan", or "a paleo" (or whatever paleos call themselves).  If you are one of these kind of eaters no one ever gives you grief, they just except that that's who you are, that's what you do, and that's how you live, therefore eat.  But if I go out to dinner with friends/associates after six and I don't order a dinner I'm wondering how it would come across if I simply explain that I'm a six o'clockatarian, I don't eat after 6:00pm.

These days would anybody find it weird that somebody chooses to not eat meat?  So why would anybody have a problem with me not wanting to eat a meal after 6:00pm?  I am trying to imagine the success of this strategy working, but I'm willing to give it a go!  I can't live my life based on anybody else's expectations of when I should eat dinner.  I will claim "Six O'Clockatarianism"!

What kind of "atarian" are you?

It's funny that I found this image of a Coo Coo not being able to "coo coo" after six but maybe it's just a Six O'Clockatarian" that doesn't want to eat dinner after 6:00!




3 comments:

Kelley Riebel said...

I don't even get home before 7:15 so I tend to be an 8:30-atarian. But I reverse the rule, no eating within 4 hours of waking.

Tracy Reifkind said...

Kelley,

That's why we all have to make our own rules! Rules that work and that we want to follow, and make our lives easier....and I'm all about easier!

Bobbi said...

After a few years of dieting I came to the realization that I wasn't going to let my food thoughts or choices control my life. My choices needed to work in real life and my life included holidays, trips , special events and dinners out. That doesn't mean that I don't have an eating strategy though. But i won't let food dictate what events I attend or create unneeded social weirdness. That doesn't mean it's a free for all and there are no guidelines or strategies though. The power of food can come in many forms IMO.