Monday, April 7, 2014

The Swing Quest's 10 x 10's Learn how to program your own workouts!

10 x 10 #1  all two hand swings




The Swing Quest's latest event was probably the most fun for me that I've had to date!  At the last minute, kind of on the fly I decided to have a couple of guest leaders!  You'll have to watch the video to find out who, but with very little warning (maybe 15 minutes) the two women did an awesome job! Which leads me to again write about why I started posting 10 x 10 workouts, and an upcoming workshop I'm scheduled to teach in Chicago on May 17th and 18th. (http://danlonafitness.com/swing-quest)



10 x 10 #2  two hand to one hand swings 




First the videos.  I'm posting them one 10 x 10 at a time (5 min workout, 100 swing reps), and then all 5 rounds in it's entirety.  You choose.  Are you just beginning your Swing Quest?  Then maybe one or two of these workouts will be just enough for you to start building from until, if you want, you can do two or three....or four...or all five!  You may have a favorite that you repeat.  As I demonstrate in the first three 10 x 10's you do not even need to have a kettlebell!  Please, stand up, go through the swing movement and pretend!  If you are currently not exercising at all on a regular basis then you must start doing something....now!  Don't let anymore excuses dictate your future health and happiness!

10 x 10 #3  one hand swings (5/5)




This year I changed the first 500 swing reps of The Swing Quest to always be a 10 x 10 (5 rounds), practicing my swing combinations in progressive order as the year goes along.  The Swing Quest 2014 is just that...two thousand, fourteen swing reps, done "equal work to equal rest" (100 minutes = 1 hour, 40 minutes)  I've been leading 4 events a year at my home studio and I'm now beginning to take it on the road!  The goal of The Swing Quest is to have a goal in the first place!  Ah...so much to say, but let's get back to the workouts!

10 x 10 #4 1st Guest lead



10 2 hd sw x 4 sets
5/5 one hand swings x 3 sets
5 2 hd + 5 R one hd sw, 5 2 hd + 5 L x 1 set each
10 2 hd swings

I'll write more about TSQ and my workshop, "Programming the Kettlebell Swing" next time!  But real quick.....it was an absolute joy to be lead through a workout by someone else!  Maybe someday you would want to be that "someone else", never having to rely on someone else's program or routine!  Come see me if you are in the Chicago area and want to learn how to train The Swing, and stay motivated for the rest of your life.

10 x 10 2nd Guest lead (freestyling!)



10 2 hd sw
5 2 hd + 5 R
5 2 hd + 5 L
5 R + 5 2 hd sw
5 L + 5 2 hd sw
10 2 hd sw
5 R/ 5 L x 2 sets
5 R + 5 2 hd sw
5 L + 5 2 hd sw

PS....I learned how to cook when I was in my early 30's by attending, first, a series of classes based in cooking methods and techniques.  I then became obsessed with watching cooking shows and reading cookbooks....until I realized that if I spent as much time actually cooking I'd become a much better cook that watching and reading about cooking! Please, please, join me in training the kettlebell swing.  Unlike cooking, when you need the right ingredients and the right tools, you need nothing to practice the movement of The Swing.  Only the wanting to improve how you move and how you feel.  

I thank my blog readers (and facebook fans) for all of the interest and support you have given me over the years, but please, if you've only been watching, now is the time to get up and move.  It's never too late, but there is no time like the present!

The Swing Quest 10 x 10, 5 rounds, 500 swing reps. Enjoy!



3 comments:

Maribel said...

I always feel like the Swing Quest sneaks up on me and I think "oh damn! it's here!!!". But, when it hits me, ready or not I just do it and I'm always glad I did.

Tracy Reifkind said...

Maribel,

Personally I like knowing it's all about swings!

It wasn't that long ago...in fact when was it? 2012? That I invited you to do 2012 reps on New Year's morning? Now we are doing over 2000 four times a year on a regular basis! Wow!

Unknown said...

kettlebells are the perfect exercising equipment for losing weight. I lost 3 kgs of weight within a month