Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Everything, including the kitchen sink, recipe.

It's been a while since I had to literally do a clean out in my fridge.  My "no frost" refrigerator / freezer froze over and guess what I had to do?  Yep, defrost the stinkin' thing!  Time for a new refrigerator (never buy Kenmore again), although this one is only 10 years old, and has given me grief from day one....


Anyway.....

Springtime usually means an abundance of fresh vegetables too irresistible to buy...darn!  So, having to empty out the freezer and fridge I was forced to defrost some of that corned beef sausage I hoarded a couple months back, too many scallions (purchased for savory oats), and a brand of sliced swiss cheese Mark did not care for (Kraft...yuck).  Add a generous pour of heavy cream (or 1/2 & 1/2),  couple of eggs and it's quiche time!  I've posted many many times about my quiche and how I renamed it a "Quittata"!  Since I rarely make a crust (either homemade or store bought) I consider this dish a cross between a quiche and a frittata.  





For the meat and veg I browned the sausage, sauteed the scallions, both green and white parts, added some baby spinach and spring garlic.  Two eggs, a handful of cheese (almost any kind will work from goat cheese to mozzarella, parmesan, cheddar or a mix if you don't have enough of one), and then I usually eyeball the amount of cream so the mixture is very wet, but not swimming.  Pour it into a generously buttered pie dish, bake at 375 degrees for about 35-45 min.  Dinner or lunch is done for a couple of days and nothing goes to waste (God forbid!)


What's your go to "everything, including the kitchen sink, recipe"?

No comments: