Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Mission: Miso Soup and 10 x 10 on the beach in Santa Barbara!

I think I mentioned since becoming a part time vegetarian I've had this new and crazy craving for sushi.....it's a bit surprising in the fact that I've never been a fan of sushi at all.  This past weekend I took my good friend Jen Mishkin to the Cali Open with me, where she competed for the first time ever, 8kg 5 min multiple hand switch!  (after only 2 weeks preparation!)  I drove down to met Jen in Santa Barbara, where she lives with her husband Greg, and she drove the rest of the way to Costa Mesa, 2.5 hours without traffic...but we weren't so lucky!  It took us over 3.5 hours to make it to Friday night weigh in!  Anyway....




We stayed at the beautiful Westin, South Plaza, for two nights....and we had a third night booked but...



Given the "interesting" outcome of the competition, and the fact that Jen kept telling me about the best sushi restaurant in Santa Barbara (Arigato's Sushi), we decided to leave on Sunday, back to SB, because I had "the best sushi" on my brain!


We drove back to her home, via Bea's bakery http://beasbakery.com/ and Mort's Deli in Tarzana (omg...post competition bakery binge!) to make it back to SB in time to chill a bit, and then jump in the car to have dinner at Arigato's Sushi! http://arigatosantabarbara.com/fatcow.com/Home.html  Jen and Greg suggested the Mushroom Miso Soup as a first course.....OMG!  Really?  How did I not know about this?  Needless to say I'm on a mission!  First thing this morning I'm researching miso soup recipes!  I found this video:



...and a handful of other information, and off to the Japanese Market I went...


More to come.....I've barely, really, thought about how this was all
going to go down!  But I thought I would start out with some veg stock, add Komochu seaweed and go from there.  I'm trying to keep vegetarian, but I may decide to add seafood to the soup instead of making the dashi with bonito flake.  I also bought some dashi that is in "tea bag" form, but after I purchased it I noticed that the package lists "bonito flavor"! What?  Um, no.  I don't want "fake" flavor, I want the real thing, and if I have to make it myself, then so be it!  (it's going back to the store, receipt saved!)


Lots more to come....or at least a bowl of miso soup to come!




And if you missed the latest 10 x 10 on Face Book with me and Jen on the beach, here it is!  Enjoy!




4 comments:

Unknown said...

I love sushi. I love eel most of all. Whenever we go out to our local Korean restaurant, I order unagi. YUM. I always get Miso Soup and quail egg.

Miso Soup is so healthy. I can't wait to see what you come up with. I make it once in a while - it's so easy and so comforting.

Jen Mishkin said...

Tracy, so fun this weekend. Thank you for everything. Glad you found some favorite things while you were here. OH! I forgot to show you the new sushi takeout place underneath the Bikram studio called "Miso Hungry"! Your Miso Soup posts reminded me. Next time. xoxo

Unknown said...

First rule of BEA's...
Dont talk about BEA's.

Anonymous said...

LOVE Sushi!

Peace ~ Bear

PS. More sexy photos.
(so sorry mark) lol