Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Level ll...the last day was really the first day....

Last summer (Aug?) was the first time I "party crashed" a Level 2 RKC, and at the time, I had no intention of ever trying to qualify for this more advanced Certification. Why not? Well, I felt that Level 2 focused on some skills of strength that were not relevant to my professional job as a Kettlebell Instructor (a seriously part time job!), nor anywhere near my "comfort zone", and therefore that's how I justified not wanting, or "needing" a RKC ll. Last summer I saw some seriously strong woman attending and earning this Certification with no problems whatsoever, or so it seemed. I was, afterall, just a "Former Fat Girl" who lucked into finding a method of training the KB swing....






I have the lucky position of being married to a Master Instructor, and therefore I can, kind of, come and go during the Certifications that Mark is teaching at (inbetween Bikram yoga classes, of course....priorities...). I try and stay in the background, not taking advantage of this luxury. Although I sit, foam roll, and/or stretch, during some teaching lectures, I never participate, nor ask questions, or practice drills alongside those that pay for the experience. This time is theirs, and being able to be a "fly on the wall" is perfectly fine with me....more than fine. How lucky am I?


This past Feburary I was a "fly on the wall" at the Level 2 Cert in SJ, a week after my own RKC re-certification, and I had no intention of ever attending a Level 2.....until I realized that many of the strength principles taught at this level were applicable to many other aspects of my athletic life, mainly my yoga practice. It then became very clear... I needed to train for these skills, and to learn these principles to become a better teacher, coach, and athlete.




And so the decision was made.


Little did I know how transformative this whole experience would be......more to come.....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.