Thursday, July 17, 2008

Cauliflower Soup with Chipotle

As much as I love, love, love my Roasted Cauliflower Soup with Curry and Raisins, I only had one large head of cauliflower and I've been dying to try it with chipotle, so here's what I came up with....


Cauliflower soup with Chipotle

cauliflower (I roasted mine while prepping the other ingredients)
onion, chopped
cauliflower leaves, chopped (optional)
red bell, chopped (again, optional. I just happen to have 1 I had to 'use or lose', lol)
chipotle peppers, 2 chopped (these come in cans w/adobo sauce)
garlic, chopped 2 cloves
stock, low sodium broth, or water (enough to barely cover veggies)




You can roast the cauliflower or not, if you do cut into small florets, toss with olive oil (1-2tbl.), and salt, and roast in the oven for 15-25 min (350-375 degrees), just until the bottom and edges start to get nice and 'roasty brown'.


Saute onion, optional califlower leaves and optional red bell in 1 tbl. oil until soft about 10 min. Add chopped chipotle and garlic for 1 min. more. Add cauliflower and stock or broth to barely cover. Bring to a boil, turn to low and cook partially covered for about 10 min, until soft. Puree.




I like my pureed soups thick, but I actually needed to add more stock...make the soup as thin or as thick as you like. But before I thinned mine out it was so spicey it gave me a couple of hiccups, lol...that's what happens to me with super spicey foods! But thinning it by adding more stock lessened the spiciness considerably.

I used only 2 chipotles because practically any recipe that calls for this ingredient only uses two, so I started there. It was plenty. One of the reasons, I'm guessing, is because these canned, smoked, jalapenos still have the seeds in them....the spiciest part of the pepper.



I will make this again, it was similar to the curry recipe, both spicy (the curry recipe spiced with a pinch of cayenne), and I was tempetd to add a touch of brown sugar at the end....or maybe my raisins, lol!

6 comments:

fawn said...

I should cook with Cauliflower more... that soup looks and sounds great! I love the raisins idea.

Himitsu Joe said...

Dang that looks good. Cauliflower isn't a normal ingredient for me. I'm more peasant stews with Chicken and Beef in the Dutch oven but wow that looks good.

-Joe

Btw Fawn: Your earlier sweet corn comment made my mouth water.

Lauren Brooks said...

Yummy! I will give this one a try. I've been craving home made soups lately. I don't know why since it's summer but it just sounds delicious! Thanks for posting this.

Tracy Reifkind said...

Fawn,

I've cooked and eaten more cauliflower in the last 2 months than in my entire life! I love it as soup, it lends itself well to spiciness.

I did end up putting golden raisins in this and I loved it. Drizzling honey is good too!

Tracy Reifkind said...

Joe,

I'm all for the peasant soups too....we've got to get you "pressure cooking", screw the Dutch oven, lol!

Tracy Reifkind said...

Lauren,

Traditionally heavy soups and stews are for fall and winter, with, of course winter veggies, beans, grains etc... And then lighter soups for the hot months, with of course spring and summer veggies.

There's nothing simpler than these summer veggie soups, seriously! Even if you simply cut up cauliflower, or broccoli, or squash (etc.), and put it in a pot, cover with broth, bring to a boil, turn down the heat and cook until the veggies are soft, and puree....season with S&P....done!