Sunday, November 16, 2014

Yukon Gold!

Now that I've gotten over my fear of potatoes I forgot how delicious Yukon Gold's were!  I've always made Mark potato salad, you know, the good old fashioned kind with tons of mayonnaise.  For years and years I didn't allow myself to eat it (or much of it) in fear of the extra "carbs" and although I'm not afraid of fats, traditional potato salad has a ton of it.  Having the behavior of overeating in my history I was not to be trusted....isn't this all crazy?  Fast forward.  This post is not about old habits and behaviors of overeating, it's about potato salad! Yukon Gold and Green Bean Salad with a simple Mustard Dressing to be exact.


I was in the market the other day and saw these small gold potatoes.  All of a sudden my mind clicked back to the memory of these buttery yummies and I decided to buy a handful for a small batch of some kind of salad.  Lately I've been steaming most all of my cooked veggies for salads using my pressure cooker.  It takes so little time, literally one minute for green beans and about 10 minutes for potatoes (5 min cook, 5 min rest), but the best thing about steaming as opposed to boiling is that you retain more nutrients in the foods you are cooking.


Most salads need no more than oil and vinegar and this one is no different.  Red wine vinegar, olive oil and a spoonful of grainy mustard was all I used.  Steamed potatoes, green beans and a finely diced shallot, and with only those 6 ingredients, viola.  Super yummy goodness :)  


A few tips for making potato salads (and if you have any other good ones please share!)



#1 Save the potato water you boil or steam the veggies in!  Instead of using more oil or mayonnaise you can use the starchy water to thin out and adjust the consistency of the finished salad without making it heavier, thicker and more calorie dense.


#2 Boil or steam the potatoes unpeeled if you want to save some time, once they cool enough to handle the skin simply slides off.


#3 Once the potatoes are skinned and diced, season with your salt and some vinegar while still warm.  Seasoning the potatoes when they are warm insures greater absorption of flavor. 


Since I really don't count olive oil, vinegar or mustard an "ingredient", these should be fridge and pantry items you always have on hand, this recipe only has three things you need to pick up at the market.  Yukon Gold potatoes, green beans and a shallot.  Speaking of shallot, that poor forgotten onion, a red onion is a fine substitute but I find shallots milder, sweeter and maybe even a hint of garlic taste.







What is your favorite way of preparing potato salad?  Or do you not eat potatoes?

5 comments:

Diana said...

Not a big fan of potato salad, surprisingly with all the German in me, but I am a HUGE fan of the Yukon Golds!!!

Perhaps you will make this salad for us (in about 6 weeks!) to try?

:)

Maribel said...

In Mexico, they make potato salad with cilantro, red onion, lemon and salt. I don't think they add olive oil, but it would make a nice addition.

Tracy Reifkind said...

Diana,

Gosh, I would say so! I think I'm going to be eating a lot of YG's from now on :)

And that's a great idea! We could actually use Jeff's dilly beans!!!! YES! Those would be perfect!

Tracy Reifkind said...

Maribel,

hmm...no fat huh? I know my daughter in law's mother, who is from El Salvador, puts fresh lemon juice on just about every kind of salad, that's where I learned to squeeze some over tuna salad, yum!

What kind of potatoes do you think they use? A variety most like Russet, or small waxy reds?

Unknown said...

I love leftover boiled potatoes - eaten cold with a dash of salt on them... :)