Friday, November 21, 2014

Thursday 10 x 10 combining sets, and "Man Pie"?

As I posted recently, all of my swing workouts these days are based on The Swing workouts, mostly #7, #8 and #9.  In yesterday's 10 x 10 video I demo how to take two of the sets of 10 reps "combining" them into a longer 20 rep set (longer set = longer rest!), similar to what I've been practicing in my own swing training.



10 x 10

10 2 hd swings x 2 sets
5 R/ 5 L x 2 sets
5/5 + 10 2 hd sw x 2 sets
5/5 x 1 set
10 2 hd sw x 1 set

100 swings, 5 minutes

********************************************

Man Pie?

Over the past couple of weeks I've made a few batches of chutney using the pineapple guavas Meg brought me from her tree.  I've made chutneys in the past, mostly serving them with cheese and crackers, but there are only so much cheese and so many crackers a person can eat!  Chutney freezes well, and I am saving some for another time, but I wanted to figure out more ways of eating/using it.

I can't quite remember now how I came up with the idea of using the chutney in a savory pie, similar to an empanada, using ground beef, and a vegetarian option using sweet potatoes and black beans, but somehow I did!  Like practically every recipe I come up with the process evolves from the original idea.



The original idea was making a top and bottom pastry crust, filling one with ground beef and chutney, and the other with roasted sweet potato, black beans and chutney....but I found a bottom and top crust was too much pastry, and that equals too many calories per serving!  So I started thinking about how to get rid of the bottom crust....ah, sweet potato!  So I ended up combining both versions together.  I layered sliced sweet potato on the bottom, added my browned ground beef (and onion), black beans, then spread the chutney over that, and topped the pie with a pastry crust.  

I wasn't 100% that all of these flavors were just my own crazy tastes so I gave my training partners each a slice to take home and report back!  Everyone said it was pretty good, and it was Deepika that called it "Man Pie"! (maybe because of the meat?)  So there you go, the name sticks!

Man Pie

1 med sweet potato (yam) sliced thin
1 lb ground beef cooked with 1/2 diced onion, drained of fat and cooled
1 c. black beans (if using canned, drain and rinse)
1 c. chutney (you an use store bought Mango chutney)
1 Pillsbury Pie Crust, the one find already made in the refrigerator section that you simply unroll (shhhh, I won't tell if you don't tell!)
1 egg to brush on top of the pastry

Bake in a 375 degree oven for 45-55 minutes until the top crust is golden and crisp.  Enjoy!


PS one of my favorite secret cooking "cheats" is Pillsbury all ready made pie crusts that you unroll out of the package!  I happen to make an awesome homemade pastry but what I lack in time is only second to my lack of counter space to use my rolling pin!  Besides, I promise, no one will ever question if it's a store bought crust because you can still make the edges the way you like and design the top steam holes in your own pattern :)  What's your secret cooking "cheat"?


See!

pps...do I have to remind you to season (salt) each ingredient?  The sweet potato (after you layer it), when you cook the beef, and to the black beans after you rinse them. 

6 comments:

Diana said...

Looks good, however, I have NO clue what chutney is! I like the idea of the sweet potato bottom.

BTW...maybe it's just because I'm born and raised Wisconsinite, but, I disagree with the cheese comment. One can NOT ever have enough cheese! LOL..

Tracy Reifkind said...

Diana,

I'm pretty sure you would not like chutney since it's cooked fruit! lol Do you like cranberry sauce? Someone on my facebook page suggested making a Man Pie with Thanksgiving flavors. The main idea is the layer of savory/meat, a bit of sweet, topped with pastry.

I need to get some of the blueberry cheese I had last year! It was so funny to be able to pack cheese in my suitcase and have it get home colder that it was when I put it in there!

Diana said...

Ugh....cooked fruit. Yeah, count me out on the chutney!
No worries on the cheese, we'll get you set up with all kinds of goodies!

Maribel said...

I'm so sad I missed the manpie! That's ok, because now I can MAKE it! More for me!

Tracy Reifkind said...

Maribel,

It was too delicious actually! Difficult to eat just one serving. Maybe if I cut it into smaller sizes I can eat two without too much guilt :)

Lisa @ The Plain-Spoken Pen said...

This sounds delicious! I expect our boys to make faces - heaven forbid they eat BEANS or CHUTNEY, because those are WEIRD (imagine that said by 12-year-old and 5-year-old boys). My husband and I, however, would love it. We'll give it a try!