Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Because They Taste Like Dirt!

I just posted a question and a picture on facebook about whether or not to peel carrots.

Tonight I was doing some veg prep for a pot of lamb and pinto bean chili first thing in the morning, and while I was cutting and dicing my veg I decided to go ahead and cut up the rest of my carrots and celery for snacks.  When I prep, pretty much, any recipe I start with the basics, onion, and celery, peppers (red bell, jalapeno), carrot, chard stems and leaves (also kale), scallions, etc.  Any scraps of the onion, celery and carrot are stored in the freezer and become what I call my "scrap pile" which I will use in stocks and broths (my bones become part of my frozen "bone yard").  I always peel my carrots, as tempted as I am to throw them into the scrap heap I don't!  Why not?

I met my BFF Fawn Friday, former professional Chef 5 or 6 years ago, and I've clung to her for cooking and food prep advice ever since!  I can't remember exactly the time, I think it was her first time coming and staying in our home because it was me doing the cooking...anyway...

I was making something with carrots (what doesn't have carrot?) and started to dice them without peeling them first.  She looked at me with surprise and asked my why I don't peel my carrots first!  I told her that I thought I was adding extra nutrition by using un peeled carrots...you know, like eating the peel of an apple! And then I asked her, former professional Chef that she was, why would you not want to use the peel?  To which she blatantly said, "Because they taste like dirt!".  And you know what?  I think she's right!

It was a done deal from that point forward!  Since then, I always peel my carrots!  And I do NOT use the peels in my stocks or broths either!  Who wants to taste dirt?  (notice I didn't say, who wants to eat dirt!)

What about you?  Do you peel your carrots?  What other cooking habits have you incorporated that you think (or know) add nutrition?  And would you, or do you, sacrifice flavor for nutrition?  How?

PS  I'm loving the photo filters on Instagram!  This is a picture I took of 2 carrots I peeled with a 10 year old vegetable peeler in my 75 year old kitchen sink!  Yikes!  lol

8 comments:

Roland Denzel said...

Good point. I guess I'll stop making fun of Galya for peeling ours...

Maribel said...

oh my gosh...I never peel my carrots...that's about to change!

Diana said...

Beets taste like dirt! I've, honestly, never eaten the peel from a carrot!

Tracy Reifkind said...

Roland,

The good news is you can add them to your compost!

What is the reason she gives for peeling though?

(Oh and I've always meant to compliment you in your picture dressed in white against a red wall! Really nice! I might have to steal the idea!)

Tracy Reifkind said...

Maribel,

What did they do in the Yucatan? Wondering if they would think you were crazy for peeling, or crazy for not peeling....but as long as you buy them the same day you are going to use them the faux pas might be excused!

Tracy Reifkind said...

Diana,

I can see it! (or better yet, taste it!) I only buy beets for the greens! And then I have to find something to do with the damn things! Probably my favorite is raw and shredded for one on my Asian salads with pineapple and dates.

Oh, but I forgot, those white beets I found at the FM are "sugar beets", and those were super sweet raw.

Unknown said...

Peel of course. It's the only way. Cooking is work, that's just it, but I like it!

Tracy Reifkind said...

Hanneke,

I feel so much better now that I know you peel too!