Monday, May 24, 2021

What does "Accountability" mean to you?


I know what accountability means, and I get it, it's fine, but why does it not always feel right to me?  I admit that sometimes it helps, it motivates, it can even be fun! Let me just get right to the point of this subject on accountability as it relates to a group who's purpose is that of supporting others in their weight loss and fitness desires and/or goals. Okay, there it is, I said it.  Weight loss. I kind of tried to soften it by adding fitness.

Weight loss. It is still a thing? A thing people can admit they want, or have we moved so far into "self love" that we are supposed to settle for whatever we have, whatever we are, in this exact moment, even if it's being of an unhealthy body weight?  Is it a judgment to suggest someone is, or may be, unhealthy because of how much they weigh? Do you think I am measuring others by my standards?  Man, this is getting deep.

Let's get back to the idea of accountability. When does it help and when does it hurt? I think we know right away, I know I do. When I agree to check in with someone else, or a group, and make my progress, or non progress public, if I'm honest, it only feels good when I'm doing what I said I wanted to do!  When I'm not it's the number one sign accountability is not going to work!

I want to find some other way. Another way to remind myself I'm worth it. Another way to remind myself of who I truly am. And that has nothing to do with anyone else but me. 

I'll think about it. What are your thoughts?


 Accountability is when an individual or department experiences consequences for their performance or actions. Accountability is essential for an organization and for a society. Without it, it is difficult to get people to assume ownership of their own actions because they believe they will not face any consequences.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Tracy.

As I was pulling up your blog to print out "doubles for weenies" for my workout tomorrow, I was thinking how great it is that you leave the workouts up for us to refer back to.... and Surprise!! you had posted :). (yes I know it was in May, but still ;) )
I have no comment really, except to say great to "see" you :) and as always, enjoyed your post....

Nadine