Friday, July 18, 2014

Finish the Hip Drive! 10 x 10 Transfer Swing Practice...oh, and The Swing Quest 2014!




All year long I've been posting short 10 x 10 workouts that progressively take a beginner through my learning swing progressions. First a beginner learns the two hand swing.  Then progresses from two hands to one hand.  The next progression is more and more continuous one hand swings (5-10), then only one hand swings (10 at a time).  At this point a strong and solid two hand and one hand swing practice is established and it's time to do some fancy stuff!  Transfer swings.

Since the hand to hand transfer happens at the top of the kettlebell swing sometimes the concentration and timing of transferring a kettlebell from one hand to the other takes a beginners attention away from the other part of the swing that happens simultaneously at the same time....finishing the hip drive!  Do not forget about your glutes!  In this week's Thursday 10 x 10 I demonstrate the right way and the wrong way.  Can you see the difference?

10 2 hd sw x 2 sets
5 R/ 5 L one hand swings x 2 sets 
10 transfer swings x 6 sets

****************************



I wanted to post The Swing Quest workout last week right after we finished it but there was a bit of confusion during the last 100 swings and I have to take responsibility for it.  I asked one of my long time training partners, Maribel, to lead the last 10 x 10, but I told her as part of a reply to one of her comments here in my blog....which she never read prior to getting to TSQ that morning.  So, Maribel shows up, completely unaware that I was going to put her on the spot!  She came up with a really fun 10 x 10 on her own, BUT I never gave her the most important guideline, which was that the 10 x 10 must only include the 6 swing progressions we all have been practicing up until that point (2 hd, 5 2 hd + 5 R, 5 2 hd + 5 L, 5 R/5 L, 10 R, 10 L).  I hadn't yet taught the transfer swing.....and wouldn't you know it, Maribel lead us through a transfer swing 10 x 10!  I ended up editing it out but you can easily replace the last 100 swings with last week's, or this week's transfer swing 10 x 10.....or Gaby's 10 x 10, or any other 10 x 10 you want to, maybe you'll come up with your own?

The Swing Quest's first 4 rounds of 10 x 10's keeps it simple and straight forward.  Ten repeats of each of the swing progressions before moving on to the next.  Again I demonstrate how to use air swings as an option for rest.  I remind the viewer/swinger that taking the rest needed at an each individual's level is much more important than trying to do every single swing.

10 2 hd swings x 10 sets
5 2 hd swing + 5 R alternating w/5 2 hd swing + 5 L x 10 sets
5/5 one hand swings x 10 sets
10 R alternating w/10 L one hand swings x 10 sets

400 swings, 20 minutes.

Do part of it, all of it, or add to it!  Just Enjoy it!  It's your life, it's your workout!


1 comment:

Dr. Goat said...

Thank you for posting this! I have been struggling lately with transfer swings, and once I watched the video, I realized why. Focusing on finishing the hip drive during transfers has been very helpful. Since I am also trying to work up to a heavier bell this summer, this will make me feel more comfortable as I start swinging it one-handed. Thanks much!