Sunday, April 3, 2011

Carrot Fries


Last night I followed through with an idea I had of making carrot fries. Sweet potato fries have been all the rage for a couple of years, and rightfully so! Sweet potato fries are super easy to make and super yummy for sure, but for me, still a little starchy. Not a problem if you can eat a little, but when those bad boys come out of the oven...game on! Easy to overeat, as are all roasted veggies (who am I kidding!)


All root vegetables are somewhat starchy to me, my favorites are sweet potatoes and rutabaga, but everybodys taste is different and what kind of effect starchy veggies have is also individual. Butternut squash is not a root veg, but I include it in the starchy veg catagory. Here is a list of my favorites,


beets

butternut

carrots

celery root

parsnips

potato

sweet potato / yam

turnip


Carrot fries are essentially roasted carrot sticks! A good way to practice your knife skills and you can cut them ahead of time. Toss them with a bit of olive oil, salt and pepper, throw them onto a hot roasting pan, and into a hot 375 oven. Give them a shake and flip halfway through cooking, about 12-15 min. to make sure they don't stick to the pan and to brown them on the other side. Finish with another 10 or so minutes of cooking and enjoy....I ate them all by the way!


1 comment:

Mark Reifkind said...

I had my share love :)) these were yummy!