Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Risotto with Asparagus and Prawns

Risotto had been one of my "go to" meals for quite sometime because all you need are some basic ingredients and the variety is endless. But then I got caught up in the "low carb" craze and avoided any meals that focused on rice.....but I'm over that now, lol!



If you own and know how to use your pressure cooker and you don't make risotto on a regular basis then you're crazy, because using your pressure cooker, adds speed, convenience and ease, not to mention nutritious meals that taste yummy......how could it get any better?




Basic risotto ingredients


2 T. butter and/or oil (olive of course)
1 onion diced
1 1/2 c. aborio rice
1/2 - 1 c. wine (optional)
4- 6 c. stock (or broth)
1/2- 1 c. parmesan cheese

Technique.....the old fashioned way

Heat butter (and/or oil), saute onion until translucent. Add rice and coat with fat. Add wine, if using, stirring constantly until it is absorbed into rice. Turn heat to a med. level and add stock (or broth) 1 cup at a time until absorbed....again stirring constantly until all liquid has been added, 20- 25 minutes, and rice is cooked through and creamy. Turn off heat, add cheese....voila!

Good Lord! All that time standing by the pot and constantly stirring......enter the pressure cooker!


Technique.....the new pressure cooker way

Heat pan, add 2 T. butter (and/or oil), saute onion until translucent.
Add 1 1/2 c. rice to coat with fat.
Add 1/2 c. wine, if using, stir until absorbed.
Add 4 c. stock, 1 t. salt, lock lid, bring pressure to high, cook for 6 min., let pressure come down naturally and open lid. It may look liquidy, but just stir and it will come together.
Stir in cheese....voila!

To make my Asparagus and Prawn Risotto I added the cut up asparagus once I opened my cooker, replaced the lid and brought the pressure back up to high, and then quick released the pressure (it only takes a couple of minutes). I then stirred in my peeled and deveined prawns to cook in the residual heat. (once shrimp turns from grey to pink you know they're done)


If your risotto is too liquidy once you've opened the lid, then simply turn the heat up to high and stir until the excess liquid is absorbed. Note the amout of rice to liquid you used and change it next time! I've had to tweak mine a little here and there.

3 comments:

Jen Mishkin said...

Hi Tracy,

This looks so yummy! I'm definitely going to give it a try. Thanks for always posting new recipes for me to try. I'm a little slow, I'm just getting to try to Quinoa this weekend.

xoxox Jen

Tracy Reifkind said...

Hi Jen!

I'll post my leek and asparagus soup (made with asparagus stock made in the PC) next! I'll be picking up tons of asparagus at the FM this morning.

PS I haven't made Quinoa in forever....my new favorite (soon to be blogged about) is farro!

Jen said...

Hi Tracy,

YUM, Leek and Asparagus Soup!! I also need to go back and look for the agretti recipes (is that spelling right?).. I remember that being really delicious too!!

OK.. farro.. I'll have to look into that too.. so many new things to learn!! :)